• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjutable upper ball joints?

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i decided to give Alighnments Plus a phone call for a price to get the XJ alighned after my RC 4.5 longarm kit install. Now he had mentioned that i make sure and get some adj. upper ball joints. Of all the threads that i have read and re-read, no one has mentioned them. Is this something i really need?

Not many people use adjustable ball joints. However they will allow a better pinion angle and keep a good caster.

At 4.5" of lift you don't need adjustable ball joints. I don't even know of a current source for them and last I heard they don't last as long as standard ball joints.

I went with napa lifetimers upper and lower to bring my Alignment to bang on within factory spec at 5.5". Wow its nice to be able to comfortably drive again!!! I did all the work myself and it took three alignments to get them good

I am not 100% but the Napa's premium (lifetime warranty) steering/suspension components (joints) are Spicer-made but labeled as "napa" instead

good stuff

They looked better quality ( fit and finish) that the moog stuff

i bought a set of lower adj.ball joint's from e-bay real good quality and price i think i paid 139.00 for them ?? but they were worth it at the time ! I don't think it matter's if they are upper or lower adj.ball joint's ! ? just adjustable !? but my axle tube was bent at the time !

Actually its best if you do both,if you only do one it moves the axle off center!

OK so everyone has given the pros of having them but what are the cons? I'm sure there nice to have but after the coin i just dropped on lift, SYE and DS, tires and rims.... Is not having them gonna eat my tires up?

Not likely. You might chew up tires if you have a camber issue, but then you've got other problems to worry about as well. More than likely, the recommendation for adjustable balljoints was to rotate the pinion up a couple of degrees to reduce front driveshaft vibration while still getting acceptable caster dialed in.

BTW, I installed 2 degree offset uppers in my 94 several years ago, while I was still using it as a daily driver around Chicago. I was unable to locate any adjustable lowers, and I haven't noted any issues with offset axles since.

Back