• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan removal - remove the transmission!?

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a better way of doing this? I disconnected everything on the front axle short of the brake lines, but the freakin pan still wont come out! Ive even got a bottle jack pushing the axle away from the body, but the bottom of the transmission is still holding the pan there. Im changing the oil pump, and the pan is so far down I was able to remove and install the new pump. But the pan still wont come out (I need to massage the pan to fit for the HV pickup tube, so yes, it does need to come out.) I really dont want to remove the trans again, does anyone have any other ideas?

Disconnect everything from the front axle that limits it, shocks, trackbar, steering, calipers etc... whatever you need. Something is holding it.

All i did was jack it way up and let the axle free hang and then it fell right out, there is a metal plate on the back side of the oil pan and tranny touch there might be a small lip you have to bend in and it will come down.

Ive even got a bottle jack pushing the axle away from the body.

The brake lines arent limiting it, they still have plenty of slack left. I think I need to disconnect the control arms because it is starting to move toward the rear. Not sure if they are different size, but I have the ax15 not an auto.

Last edited:
disconnect the trackbar and the draglink at the adjuster and the whole thing will slide out the front.

I dont know what Im doing wrong, but it will not slide out the back. The steering is completely disconnected, but the pan wont come out the front because the oil pump pickup tube hits. The axle is completely hanging. As lawsoncl stated, the axle moves back and doesnt help. Starter is off. Im trying to disconnect the upper control arms, but now the pass side bolt is just spinning. The little tab that keeps it from spinning just comes up over the control arm. Ill try disconnecting it from the body, but I think Im going to have to bite the bullet and just take the transmission out.

Lower control arms are likely binding on the brackets on the axle.
Undo either end of one (doesn't matter which side), and that will let the axle drop enough to get the pan out the front.
Be forewarned, it can often be a pain to get the LCA bolted back up.

Nick

Ill try disconnecting it from the body, but I think Im going to have to bite the bullet and just take the transmission out.

Yikes, that's a little desperate! Try putting a jack under the tranny to push the motor upwards a tad. Maybe undo a motor mount as well. It may be your motor mounts are shot and the engine is sitting a lower than normal.

Or if you can get your hands in there and see if you can unbolt the oil pickup which is what you're getting hung up on.

Thats why Im here to begin with. Im installing a HV oil pump. I could remove the old one and put the HV unit back in, all without actually removing the oil pan from the Jeep. But you have to clearance the bottom of the oil pan since the pickup tube is longer. Which means it has to come out. Im thinking if I go after the upper control arms it will allow the axle to "roll" forward and give me more vertical and longitudinal clearance.

Back