• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 Engine Swap..Options?

jeepjunky

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, the time has come for a new engine in my 2000. I'm looking for a 4.0 and want to do the easiest possible swap. My question is what are my options as far as what years and models(tj or wj?) will be a direct swap and what parts from my current 4.0(computer, ecm, wiring harness) will be able to be reused?
:NAXJA:thanks in advance

As the title says, the time has come for a new engine in my 2000. I'm looking for a 4.0 and want to do the easiest possible swap. My question is what are my options as far as what years and models(tj or wj?) will be a direct swap and what parts from my current 4.0(computer, ecm, wiring harness) will be able to be reused?
:NAXJA:thanks in advance

why a new engine? cracked head?

the 00-01xj is a direct swap, but the head is prone to cracking.

do some searching and you will find the possible engine(short block/long block) combo's that will work without big modifications.

97+ should fit just fine. Swap your intake manifold over. You will need a new exhaust manifold though. And depending on your emissions package you may have to do something about that. I would go for a 99 engine.

This has pretty much been beaten to death. I would do a search for: '0331 head'. That will at least give you and idea what to do with the exhaust. Also there was a recent thread by Dirk/DPG off road that give some details.

I actually already dealt with the cracked head awhile back. .About 15k miles later the valvetrain got real noisy, sounded like a lifter. Took the head in and it had 4 bad exhaust valves.Got a valve job, installed new lifters and fired it back up only for it to sound worse than it did before. The tapping is louder and when revved there is a metal on metal noise that sounds real nasty. So the plan is to pull that engine and replace it with a junkyard unit, then maybe stroke the original engine. I'll assume the easiest swap would be from a 2000 or 2001 with an auto trans and the same accessories. However if that is not possible, the next best choice would be 97-99 with auto trans. Anything i should pay extra attention to or any tips from some of you who have tackled this before would be great. :skull1:

97+ should fit just fine. Swap your intake manifold over. You will need a new exhaust manifold though. And depending on your emissions package you may have to do something about that. I would go for a 99 engine.

This has pretty much been beaten to death. I would do a search for: '0331 head'. That will at least give you and idea what to do with the exhaust. Also there was a recent thread by Dirk/DPG off road that give some details.

Hmmm I would double check that. I thought that 00-01 were only compatible within those years because of the funky coil rail ignition.

Hmmm I would double check that. I thought that 00-01 were only compatible within those years because of the funky coil rail ignition.

You can use the cam position sensor from the '00 in the old distributor hole and use the coil rail with easy home made brackets. Many descriptions on that in the 0331 head threads.

I went with a '98 engine in my '01 and bought the adapter plate from a member on here so that my original '01 exhaust, precats, and plethora of oxygen sensors would bolt right up to the '98 engine. Needed an additional gasket, but it's been about 10K miles and holding up well.

The coil rail mounts are in the head. Is it that hard to make straps to go from the valve cover bolts to the coil rail if using an earlier head? Really? Nothing to double check.

Probably not the way to do it but I've just let my coil pack hang with the older style head and no mounts for the coil. I'm going to eventually make some mounts just haven't gotten around to it.

You could also use the '01 and later TJ motor. It'll have the coil rail bosses, and all your accessories and manifolds will bolt up.

The coil rail mounts are in the head. Is it that hard to make straps to go from the valve cover bolts to the coil rail if using an earlier head? Really? Nothing to double check.

I thought there were differences in the ECU for the coil rail? I guess not? :anon:

You could also use the '01 and later TJ motor. It'll have the coil rail bosses, and all your accessories and manifolds will bolt up.

No you can't. A 00+ TJ engine or a WJ engine will not work unless you want to do some major modifications to mounting issuse. The was covered here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015349

I thought there were differences in the ECU for the coil rail? I guess not? :anon:

What? You keep the PCM with what ever wiring harness/ignition system you are using. What does that have to do with a block?

Back