• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little Assistance

I am now living in East Texas, Lufkin and need to replace my factory shocks on the 95 XJ. At this time I can not afford to lift, but plan to go with a 3'' at most in the future. Could just be a 2''. I currently run 235/75/15 good Year Tires. Is there a shock I can buy that can grwo withthe jeep? Is there something that can take some off roading as my job takes me into the woods and on timeber roads.

Thanks for your help, and if your in the area and know of good junkyards let me know. I want 97+ side mirrors and center counsel and am considering a bastard pack and ZJ front coils.

Not sure about anything that can grow with the jeep, but you need to look out for your rear upper shock bolts... start spraying them with penetrating oil a week or two before you intend to install the shocks, then use a mapp/oxy torch to heat them up pretty hot before you try and unscrew them. They are notorious for breaking; most people break at least one. I hit the lottery and broke all four.

If that fails and you still break them... http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm

97+ side mirrors are GREAT, so much bigger and more useful. Wiring them up to actually move isn't overly difficult if you're familiar with electronics at all, and if you can, grab ones that also have the heated glass option, it's just a heater on the back of the glass that you connect to 12V to get rid of steam/condensation/ice/snow.

I'd go for rear first, leaves you with a better view of the road, they usually wear out faster so it'll give you a bigger performance increase sooner, and it leaves the front end lower so you'll know you should back out and try another approach faster.

Back