• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3'' lift install....newbie question

blacknine

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm about midway through installing a RC 3'' Lift kit on 00 XJ. I've got a lot of little questions and searching hasn't fully answered them so I'm just going to throw them up on here and see if you guys can help. My first question is, am I going to run into any steering issues with the 3'' lift, do I need to go ahead and order anything right now that is guaranteed to give me trouble? Second, will running 31x10.50s on the stock 15s cause any clearance problems after the lifts done? I can order rims but I'd rather wait till its time to go bigger and wider.

steering will be fine. you may rub on control arms a little while turning all the way, adjust your steering stops on the knuckles to keep you off the control arms.
rock the oem wheels till your ready.

another thing you might consider about the rubbing is using wj lower arms. and the steering wheel will be a little to one side but a alignment will fix that

mine rubbed slightly in the rear wheel well with a 3 inch procomp kit and 31 10.5's and the baja claws didnt appreciate the control arms being so close.

So I need to run WJ LCAs to get rid of the rubbing, should i just go junkyard for them or are there any vendors that sell them cheap. Also I have no idea how to adjust the steering kucnkles but since its already apart I'm going to learn lol

I'm running the exact same lift as you, no vibes no nothin, its on a 97. My 31x11.50 LTB's rub on the LCA's at full lock, I have tried a set of 31x10.50s on it and they just barely rub, just remember how far you can turn the wheel and you don't have to adjsut anything :) Steering will be fine. That's a great lift for the money IMHO.

So my front rear leaf bolt on my drivers side will not move. I have been on it with a 3/8 impact for a good 15 min, I have heated it up, sprayed it down with pb blaster and cursed at it, it still wont move. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this POS out? I really dont want to have to cut in because I do not have a welder so I cant fix the cuts.

EDIT: I'm about to go buy an 1/2'' impact from harbor frieght if I can't get anything else to work but I have a feeling that will just break the bolt....maybe not

Last edited:
If that doesn't work, try using your weight instead, to do my leaf eye bolts I held myself steady with a rear door handle and then used one foot to push down on the breaker bar. That got them started, after the first few turns I could do it with my hands, though I still had to brace myself against the rockers/rear axle a few times.

Or curse at it more... I find that helps at times :dunno:

It has started slowly turning with the breaker bar, but progress is slow, I can confirm the head isnt just spinning just for whatever reason it really dosent want to come out

Same thing happened to mine when we were trying to get the old leaf out. We ended up cutting the whole thing with a torch, since nothing short of it helped.

wonder if the weld that holds the nut on has broken?

It has started slowly turning with the breaker bar, but progress is slow, I can confirm the head isnt just spinning just for whatever reason it really dosent want to come out

on my 89, i used a breaker bar to loosen the bolt. it popped like a SOB the whole time until the bolt came out of the nut inside the frame. the nut did not spin loose in the frame rail, luckily.

Its most likely that the bolt has rusted into the eye of the leaf and the eye spacer is spinning in the rubber bushing. Sincew I was repalcing the leafs I cut the leaf off of the bushing then cut the eye spacer off of the bolt. GOOD LUCK

Which 3 inch RC kit did you get? The one that comes with the lower arms?

From what I understand, the 3 inch kit that comes with the arms (series II) shouldn't have a rubbing issue.

I have the nut off the rear eye bolt, and I have unscrewed the front eye bolt as far as it will go but neither will actually come out. What do I need to do here? Does there need to be a load/ not a load on the springs or should I just start cutting shit. I can take pics if that helps.

I have the nut off the rear eye bolt, and I have unscrewed the front eye bolt as far as it will go but neither will actually come out. What do I need to do here? Does there need to be a load/ not a load on the springs or should I just start cutting shit. I can take pics if that helps.

the bolts are frozen in the bushing sleeve from rust. if your replacing the springs, use a sawzaw/recipricating saw to cut between the bushing and the mount. once the bolt is cut, the spring can be pryed out. replace with a new bolt.

Back