• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake on a 89

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
so a few weeks ago i got a 89 xj. it was missing its head and the exhaust manifold is broken. i put a head on it and the manifolds and it started. so i decided to follow some advice of some naxjaers and got a header from ineedparts.com and i figured while i had the intake off to do the header swap i might do the intake. i know there is a difference in port and gasket design. the intake i found is off a 99 xj is there any thing else i should/need to know?

thanks in advance

You will need the power steering bracket off the 99 as well.

wow i thought i said it came with the ps and brackets lol. wow my brain playing tricks on me lol.

Adapting the TPS and needing a 91+ "high output" head are two major issues. All the other sensors and vacuum lines are pretty straight forward. You can physically bolt the newer manifold on the Renix head but the ports won't line up. You will need a 91-95 fuel rail and a 96+ power steering pump.

how much are the ports off?

how much are the ports off?
I would say 1/4~1/2" each. I ran a 99+ intake on my 90 with the stock Renix head and still thought I felt a power gain, but with the partially blocked ports I'm not sure how I really could have. I definitely don't recommend it with the stock head, but the choice is yours.

think one could port match? wish i would have gone to the jy and got a ho head lol. but i got this renix head for free and had it machined.... oh well

think one could port match? wish i would have gone to the jy and got a ho head lol. but i got this renix head for free and had it machined.... oh well
You could sure try, maybe take it back to the machine shop and ask? I personally would just wait around and find an HO 7120 or 0630 head though. They appear cheaply quite often on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Like this one for example...hard to say what it will go for but sure seems reasonable right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I made a quick overlay of the gaskets to show how much material would need to be removed. I think we should try it on you scrap head and if it works do it on the nice rebuilt one.
8.gif

Last edited:
ya i think i might do that lol

Last edited:
Good luck fellas, let us know what happens.

got to love the black photo shop magic

I just got done port matching an HO head to Renix manifold and it was really only off about 1/4" on the floor of the intake port. To go from HO intake to Renix head, you should only have to work on the intake manifold to match, if you wanna bother.If it wasn't dark outside, I would go put the HO gasket on my Renix head and tell ya for sure.

so yesterday i got the manifold. and discovers teh renix head has a taller intake port then the ho did.

file03216617562.jpg

and i got the ps pump and bracket
file03256643103.jpg

here i got the old intake gasket over the new manifold.
file03226624088.jpg

and heres the diff between the old and new style tb.
file03286669105.jpg

im also guessing i need to get the kick down cable and throttle cable from a ho cause i get the feeling my factory ones wont work with it.

Back