• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 drum brake question

can i use the brakes of my d35 and use them for my new 8.25?

I don't think so. I think the drums are different sizes.

I've heard though that the D35 came with two different size drums - one of which might match the 8.25.

Measure your D35 drums to see if they are 8 or 10" drums .... then call the parts store to see what size 8.25 drums are.

I believe you can, not sure really... if you can, you have to grind out the inside bore that goes around the axle tube/end bracket slightly and then perhaps redrill the holes for the mounting bolts.

the sizes are 9 or 10" AFAIK for the drums.

I know you can do a grand cherokee disc swap or a liberty disc swap instead. I believe the GC disc swap requires a bit of grinding as well, but the liberty disc swap (if you can find a liberty with discs) is direct due to the 8.25 they use.

i guess what i really mean is the the internal parts of the drum brakes. and if the e-brake cable will fit on the 8.25.

A quick look at NAPA's website says no. 10" on the 8.25, 9" on the D35. (assuming this is correct. It may not be, as they list 10x1.75" on early XJs with a D35) You could look at the diameter stamped on the drums, and measure the depths to be sure.

The two sizes of brakes are 9x2.5" (should say 230mm diameter max), and 10x1.75" (should say 255.5mm or 10.060 max).

Last edited:
Back