• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft problems vibs

bryceyoda

NAXJA Forum User
so ive had a vibration from my front driveshaft for a while and i finally got it rebuilt. new spline stub end new slip yoke and ujoint and balanced. i never rebuilt the carnigan joint the guy at the shop said its still good. with no front drive shaft very smooth and quite on hwy. install the new driveshaft the noise comes back but now its a little bit better. at 110km it hums and vibrates. what else could it be? bad balance or carnigan joint? or something to do with the transfer case?

It could be just that you've lifted it too much / without adjustable control arms - how much lift do you have? What control arms (stock/fixed/adjustable)? High or low pinion front axle? What's the pinion angle and front driveshaft angle?

PS: it's a cardan joint, btw - named after Gerolamo Cardano, the first person to document a U-joint design. A cardigan joint or a carnigan joint makes me think more of sweaters and strange birds from Alaska. Just a minor nitpick...

hmmm, yeah, I'd spend the ten bucks on an angle finder at Lowes and figure out how much angle there is between the driveshaft and the pinion. The more angle there is, the more vibration you'll get from it - it's more noticeable in 4wd but it will still be there slightly in 2wd from the driveshaft being spun by the differential, unless you have a vacuum disconnect axle and haven't locked it in place.

Check for slack in the pinion bearing. I have a vibe from the slack in the front pinion bearing that is causing my vibe.

By what method did they balance the shaft? A lot of shops dont do HS balancing which is extremely important if you have lower gears installed.

I would look into the front output bearing in the transfercase. I have some slight play in mine.

Back