• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 TCC Lockup ?

Mbjeep91

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 4.0 automatic has been acting strange lately, when at a constant speed (about 60-65 usually) the TCC will unlock and the RPM climb a lil, then if i apply throtle it will lock up, but when i back out of it to stay at a constant speed again the TCC unlocks. If i then come to a complete stop it will act fine again.

It usually only happens once an ignition cycle.

I do have 5" of lift and 31's with stock gears, not sure if that could have something to do with it?

Any ideas would be appreiciated!

TIA

Check your TPS sensor and brake switch, also maybe your throttle valve cable.

I have the same symptoms plus a lot more wackiness and my transmission has led a hard life, so I know it's dead. Already replaced the TPS with two different spares that read within spec when I use a multimeter.

Ive already replaced the tps, and map sensors, and checked the brake switch, don't know bout the cable but it seems to be fine, don't know if it would cause that intermittent of a problem?

My tranny has been beat to shit by the PO i believe, maybe it just needs a rebuild?

Thanks for the input.

How's your fluid? Dark and stinky?

If it's clean and red/transparent, I think you should be fine, but between the two POs and me, mine was black, opaque, and smelled terrible. It slipped and lurched a tiny bit once in a while even when I bought it bone stock.

If it needs a rebuild... don't pay thousands to have it rebuilt. Buy a new one on here (I tend to trust people on here a lot more than craigslist/junkyards) for under 200, throw it in with all new seals and a new filter for like $40-50, then rebuild your old one as time permits as a spare for $160 in parts off eBay plus a torque converter. Total bill (plus your time) should be like $600-700 max, and now you know how to rebuild a transmission...

(I've only done part of this myself, but the rebuild is next)

I'd check the cable next - just to make sure. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

Pirate thread on rebuilding the AW-4, if you decide to: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690054
Parts you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320219621120 (add filter+pan gasket and torque converter, the front+rear seals and what appears to be the pump O-ring are all included)

Also - before you do anything expensive, check the fluid level. Remember to follow the instructions on the dipstick, I forget if the AW-4 in XJs is supposed to be checked hot/cold and whether it should be in park/neutral.

I will deff check the fuid.

I am an automotive tech and have rebuilt trannies before so i was plannig on doin all the work myself if it comes to that. I just thought this problem was quite strange.

I was also tossing around the idea of a manual swap.....

who knows, guess ill make a decision when i have to.

thanks for the advice

Oh, guess you're all set then on that front!

Good luck.

It will be cheaper to just buy an XJ with a manual..

Back