• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Dana 60 Pinion Angle

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
Obviously everyone's set-up will be different, and many of you may not even be worried about it if you have locking hubs, but I was curious what people are running for pinion angle on a front HP Dana 60. I'm going to shoot for 5 -6 degrees of caster angle, and about 10 degrees of pinion angle, but it would be good to know before I start welding what others have found to work.

Are you welding in your own axle tubes or rotating the knuckles? If not, I would set your caster angle and whatever you end up with for a pinion angle is what you get. For a front shaft with hubs it won't matter much.

Narrowing the axle and rotating the knuckles while I'm at it. I'm not overly worried because of the lockouts, but it would be nice to know what works for others.

my 609 has 14* of pinion angle, and 7* of castor... at about 5" of lift

can you level the jeep, put the axle at ride height, align the driveshaft, then measure pinion angle, then pull it out, pound the knuckles on and set the castor to whatever you want...

that's the best way to do it...

Nothing to contribute...

But a probably silly question - how much pinion angle will you guys set before worrying about pinion bearing oiling? I'm betting this doesn't come into play till you get to ridiculous amounts of lift, but it's still something I think about every time I see a thread involving rotated knuckles.

How much lift will you have?

I used 6* of caster and 13* of pinion angle on my 44 at 6.5'' of lift.

About 5-6" of lift. Where the 60 has the pinion higher above the axle centerline, 10 degrees may be about right, based on what you're running.

my 609 has 14* of pinion angle, and 7* of castor... at about 5" of lift

can you level the jeep, put the axle at ride height, align the driveshaft, then measure pinion angle, then pull it out, pound the knuckles on and set the castor to whatever you want...

that's the best way to do it...

That would be ideal, for sure, but I'm hoping to have as much of the axle done as possible before I pull the old one out. If it helps, my old axle is a low pinion Dana 30 and as it sits with 4" of lift, my driveshaft is sitting at 10 degrees with the jeep leveled out.

a HP 60 has the lowest high pinion. :laugh3:

according to this - the D44 has a higher 'high pinion' than a d60...
http://truehi9.com/driveshaft2.html

I've seen that in the past, but I don't think they had D44 information on it at the time. Good reference page, for sure.

So according to truehi9's page, there is a difference of 2.25" between my LP D30 and my HP D60. I'm at 4" of lift right now and with another 1.5-2" and a shorter driveshaft, my new pinion angle should be really close to the 10 degrees that I'm at right now.

Back