• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear seal on AW4

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever replaced the rear seal on an AW4 with a tcase? Can you pull it without pulling the rear portion of the tranny? In other words does the seal mount from the inside or the outside?

Anybody happen to have easy access to the seal part number?

Yes, yes, and outside!

I got mine at AAP, I'll have to see if I kept the box around or threw it out... and if the trash went out yet. Just did this last Tuesday while resealing/cleaning out the transmission I'll be putting in soon.

Looks like the trash went out :dunno: however, AAP's system has it listed - I forget how, I had my new transmission in the trunk when I showed up so I walked right back inside when they gave me the wrong one. It definitely was listed as an AW4 or NP231 app under the Cherokee though, I just forget what they called it.

When I did the rear seal on my 2000 I used ATP RO-04, available from Rock Auto. Also, it may be easier if you remove the transfer case adapter from the transmission as you won't have the shaft in the way. Plus it would be a good time to re seal if it has been leaking.

I recently replaced this seal on a 93 AW4 as well. You can get to it by just removing the TC.

The parts store had a couple different options. There was one seal that was labled as a "Chrysler" seal. It was too big. The other one was labeled as "Aisin Werner" and it fit perfectly.

Back