• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little heat after flushing core (searched)

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I tried flushing my core a few weeks ago to get better heat in my 88, but come to find out there is no gunk or anything coming out of my heater core when i flushed and backflushed, so it was clear of debris the whole time. I am still getting little heat, and the engine is at operating temp, but the heat is not as hot as it should be, and takes a good 20 mins on HI at operating temp to get the xj warm. I was searching on how to check the blend door, but nobody went into detail. I may also add that the slider for the temp control doesnt go all the way to heat, but it is pretty close. So is this a blend door problem, and how would i go about making sure it is functioning properly? Thank You.

You might have a problem with your vacume accuated heater valve that is under the hood.

I recetly replaced mine with a valve from a 1999 XJ that I got from AUTOZONE.

That valve eliminated the need for that overflow bottle that is on the firewall. I did do an open radiator conversion, but it is probably not necessary.

As for issues with your interior heater box door, I'd doubt that is the case unless you have been in a collision or you have done stuff under the dash to compromise the intergrity of the vacume systems or cables that control things.

Back