• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory On-Board-Air on a Cherokee??????

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 84/85 XJ in the wrecking yard with what appears to be a factory OBA system on it. The air line plumbed out of the dryer leads to the rear air shocks, and then on top of the pump is a Schrader valve to attach an air line to for possibly airing up your tires. Also, there is a 3 position toggle switch on it with the positions of ACC, OFF, and ON. I'm assuming that the ACC position is for the shocks, the OFF position is for the obvious, and the ON position is for when you want to air something up. This all mounted on a factory bracket and positioned up on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

With that description said, has anybody seen or heard of this?
Should I snag it for myself or for somebody else?

I've never seen this subject (factory oba) talked about on here. Just curious.

Thanks,
Dan.

There was mention of a similar option on other AMC vehicles, so it wouldn't surprise me to see that on an early XJ. Grab it, I'm sure someone could use it.

TRNDRVR said:
I found an 84/85 XJ in the wrecking yard with what appears to be a factory OBA system on it. The air line plumbed out of the dryer leads to the rear air shocks, and then on top of the pump is a Schrader valve to attach an air line to for possibly airing up your tires. Also, there is a 3 position toggle switch on it with the positions of ACC, OFF, and ON. I'm assuming that the ACC position is for the shocks, the OFF position is for the obvious, and the ON position is for when you want to air something up. This all mounted on a factory bracket and positioned up on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

With that description said, has anybody seen or heard of this?
Should I snag it for myself or for somebody else?

I've never seen this subject (factory oba) talked about on here. Just curious.

Thanks,
Dan.

does the compressor look like this?
the one on the left has a shrader valve.. but it is use to release pressure and not fill things up. they both came from caddilacs.

tankandcompress.jpg

Re: Re: Factory On-Board-Air on a Cherokee??????

RINGKONG said:
does the compressor look like this?
the one on the left has a shrader valve.. but it is use to release pressure and not fill things up. they both came from caddilacs.
Yes! It looks exactly like the Cadillac compressors. I am also doing a Cadillac OBA set up. RINGKONG, how pressure are you getting out of your 2 pumps?
Thanks,
Dan.

You know, there was something a few months back about a factory load-leveling system, but I think that was for the MJs. IIRC, Eagle had something to do with that thread. It's interesting that you found it on an XJ.

I would have guessed that ON meant for the shocks, and ACC is for that other point, but that's without looking at it.

It sounds like it might be worth grabbing. If you do, I hope it still works - it'd be a heckuva conversation piece.

Rob

I guess I'll go get it in a day or 2. I also take some digital pictures of it before I pull it. If anything, I can bring it to Moab and see if anybody wants down there on the day of the swap meet. :confused:
Thanks,
Dan.

Re: Re: Re: Factory On-Board-Air on a Cherokee??????

TRNDRVR said:
Yes! It looks exactly like the Cadillac compressors. I am also doing a Cadillac OBA set up. RINGKONG, how pressure are you getting out of your 2 pumps?
Thanks,
Dan.

I run it to 75 psi.. never really tested it.

I think the tank is actually working against me when I fill tires.. but its nice to have a reserve.

Yes there was a thread a little while ago about it. The ealr XJ's ha a "load leveling system" available as an option. There is info im my FSM about them. They exist is about the extend of my knowledge about them. Search for Load Leveling or something to that nature and you might find the thread.

I have one pump off of a caddie, I have a pressure switch that shuts it off at 100 psi, and on at 80. When setting things up I put a gauge on the line output and was amazed to see it get to 180 before my line failed. The guyat the salvage yard told me to go with the GM vs. the Linchon (ford). He told me that he rairly sells the GM, but the ford compressor sells about as fast as he can get them, meaning there is a reliability issue.

JEONLYEP said:
I have one pump off of a caddie, I have a pressure switch that shuts it off at 100 psi, and on at 80. When setting things up I put a gauge on the line output and was amazed to see it get to 180 before my line failed. The guyat the salvage yard told me to go with the GM vs. the Linchon (ford). He told me that he rairly sells the GM, but the ford compressor sells about as fast as he can get them, meaning there is a reliability issue.

I looked at the ford ones too.. the piston looks dinky. so I went with the caddys... 10 bucks a pop.

Back