• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter adapter Early 4.0HO

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
I know, i know... there are a million threads on this AND i have an FSM...

1993 XJ, 4.0HO, 120Kmiles, AW4. I believe the NP231 TC (my buildsheet says command trac, is that right??)

At any rate, i have searched and searched. used Go-Jeeps write up and every other one i could find, HOWEVER, i cannot find the proper hex key size for the oil filter adapter on my 93. I got a T60 torx and it obviously didn't work... i tried all the standard hex keys i had (1/4 was close...) but to no avail. I have a FEELING it is 5/8, but of course i nor anyone i know have that key handy. I'm looking for some validation before i spend money on it:)

Ever since i replaced my valve cover gasket my OFA is leaking more noticeably and i want to get it taken care of to see if my RMS is contributing or not (and then put that on my to do list as well:))

Strange note, my FSM has the filter in the upright position for my 93 4.0 however, my filter is actually in the horizontal position of the later HO's (mine was built Nov, 1992) so maybe that is why?

Sorry, can't help on the hex key.
I have a 92 with the filter in the upright position. I suspect the FSM graphics are left over from earlier FSM's. They are not always up to date. I have one for a WJ and it has pics of ZJ in it!
I bought a filter for my 92 and installed it. Turned the engine on and emptied the oil pan on the driveway. Hard way to find out it still had the metric treads on the adapter! I do not know when they changed threads for the filter, but I bought the newer part to update the 90 and 92. My WJ 4.7 uses the same filter. I don't want to dump 6 qts on the driveway again!

From the 91-93 Parts Catalog:

5300 9070 1 MJXJ 1991-92
5302 0237 1 XJ 1993

Swing by the nearest Jeep dealer and see if they have any further info.

5302 0237 is the only bolt listed in 94-96 Parts Catalog, so that must be the T60 and you have the other one, what ever that is.

i had a 93 and i had the exact same issue with the oil filter adapter.
just shaved the hex key down a bit until it fit the oil filter adapter bolt. i don't recall what size the hex was off hand though.

You could use the head of a bolt to test the size. I recall using a tall nut, a wrench, and a cheater bar once to remove that bolt. 5/8" sounds familiar as well.

I used a 14mm hex bit(pounded out of the socket it came in), from the harbor freight hex socket set, to change my brother's 93 ofa gasket last week. I used a 14mm wrench interlocked w/ a longer wrench to get it off. If only they used the hex on the newer models--I was defeated by an 01's t-60 a week or two before that(I swear I was using pinion nut torque and it wouldn't budge).

Back