• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light - code P0705 -driving me nuts!

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1997 Sport Cherokee, 4.0.
Was having a problem with the NSS, so took it apart and cleaned and replaced it. All fixed, no problems, works great.

Sometime later, couple fo months, I get a check engine light. Friend checks it with his scanner and it comes up -

"P0705 Trans Range Sensor Circt Mal PRNDL Input"

Does this have anything to do with the NSS?

We cleared the code, a couple of days it comes back, lasts awhile and then comes back, goes away, then comes back, etc...

Pulled the battery cables, put them together to clear the ECU and the light goes out.

Few days later, it's back!

Anyone know what the code is reference to? And how do I clear it?

Jeep is running great, actually even better since I cleared the ECU. But can't get rid of check engine light and need to get it through emmissions.

Thanks for any help

Yes, it is referring to the NSS which also provides a mechanical indication of the which gear is selected to the ECU/PCM.

I would check the harness, connectors, and make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. You may have to re-do the NSS clean/lube/adjustment.

Have a 1997 Sport Cherokee, 4.0.
Was having a problem with the NSS, so took it apart and cleaned and replaced it. All fixed, no problems, works great.

Sometime later, couple fo months, I get a check engine light. Friend checks it with his scanner and it comes up -

"P0705 Trans Range Sensor Circt Mal PRNDL Input"

Apparently it's not fixed, or not adjusted properly. The PRNDL switch is the fancy name for the NSS.
http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

Thanks for the insite and threads.

Actually, we used those sites to rebuild the NSS.

As I said, followed the directions, everything seems to be working fine, shifting, netural safety and reverse lights. No problems since we rebuit the NSS. A few months later it starts throwing the error code. The check engine light goes off and on from day to day.

Guess we'll check the connection, try re-adjusting the NSS and if anything pull it and clean it again and see what happens.

Back