• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced TC output seal, but still leaking

HandBuiltXJ

NAXJA Forum User
On my 93 231 TC, I replaced the Rear output shaft seal, but it is still leaking very much out around the shaft. An SYE is not in my cars for now, but i do need to get this on the road. I have read a lot of the TC leaking threads on here, but besides SYE, no one really ever says a good fix for this. I have the RE3.5" Superflex kit, and a 1" t-case drop. my new seal didn't even last 10 miles and started p#55ing out the fluid, please help, i really want to do a little rockclimbing this weekend.

john

The slip yoke itself may be worn and allowing fluid to leak past it. When you put in the new seal for the output you should have used some form of grease on it also. Hope this helps.

When I had this problem I had many suggestions of nicks or gouges on the output shaft.

When I installed it the second time, I made sure it was really clean and I used black RTV between the seal and the shaft, and the seal and the housing. Hasn't leaked in around 1K miles.

Leaking at the output shaft that can't be stopped is caused by a internal seal at the oil pump. When this seal goes to much oil and pressure hits the yoke seal which is made to keep water and dirt out, not oil/fluid in.

langer1 said:
Leaking at the output shaft that can't be stopped is caused by a internal seal at the oil pump. When this seal goes to much oil and pressure hits the yoke seal which is made to keep water and dirt out, not oil/fluid in.

are you referring to the bushing that is behind the outer rear shaft seal?

frogmanjohn said:
are you referring to the bushing that is behind the outer rear shaft seal?

Yes that and the pump housing, also make sure the oil return passages are open.

There should normally be very little oil to the yoke but as the pump plates and bushings wear to much oil and pressure goes to the yoke and blows the seal.

(NOTE) check the T-Case vent, be sure it's open.

Last edited:
j8134490 is the part number for the bushing. 4 wheel parts for 9.50, or the dealer for 25 bucks. on that drivtrain site it was part Number 8008 and only 9.50, but shipping is a pain. thank you for your help in tracking the buching down.

john

Back