• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky AW4...which seal

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

im gonna try to replace a seal in my aw4 soon. Whenever my tranny gets warm/hot it leaks out the front of the bell housing all over the exhaust and blows smoke and makes a real mess.

Im going to try a tranny cooler first, but i have my doubts that itll solve the issue. also where is the vent line. Im going to make sure that isn't clogged, but i haven't been able to find it?

so last but not least, i cant find this seal for the lift of me. im pretty sure what i need is the torque converter seal, but when i search napa for it, i get front pump seal, seal, transmission seal.....all really vague names.

any help

standard.jpg

Make sure you get the right seal if you go to NAPA, their computer thinks all XJs have the 3speed trans used on the early models and the 3speed equipped I4 2.5L mid to later models.

Front pump seal is right around those two splined shafts on the right side of the pic AIbandit posted, if it's not clear. It seats on the neck of the torque converter which results in some confusion.

EDIT: It's a National 223830 you want. If they don't have National, go for a Federal Mogul that cross-refs to the National number.

Last edited:
Back