• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Big inside ?

Ive fitted a 33x12.50x15, proped up against the back seat, at an angle. I havent tried it lying down in the back, with the seat up. I don't know how big of one can fit in the stock place though, I suppose maybe a 31?

Everyone else seems to be able to do this, but I can't get a 31" (well, 245/75-R16) tyre in the stock location and still be able to close the hatch on my 2000. Doesn't matter how I try to position it; it just won't go. Solved the problem by laying it flat in the back 95% of the time and putting it on the roof rack for off-road use. YMMV. Quite frankly, I prefer not having it in the stock location for the small-but-useful amount of extra visibility when changing lanes.

It's been said a 31" fully aired up, but I've had a hard time getting the seat back to latch with just a stock full size in there. Realisticly unless you running locked, or a limited slip a stock full size would do you just fine.

Theres nothing wrong with running one undersized tire unless you have a locker. Do you have one? The differentials (open diffs) will fully compensate for the different tire sizes so the transfer case will not be affected. If you're worried about off-road performance, you could always load a full sized tire for wheeling trips. I know some people carry 2 spares anyway for trips to remote areas.

I'll have either a detroit or an ARB in the back . also consider here in alaska it is nothign to do a 5 day trip like 250 miles on trails in some unforgiving country at times .

bajacalal said:
Theres nothing wrong with running one undersized tire unless you have a locker.

Or a 242. Even in 2WD (though it's a lot more noticeable in 4FT), the 242 is pretty touchy about having even pressures all around.

casm said:
Or a 242. Even in 2WD (though it's a lot more noticeable in 4FT), the 242 is pretty touchy about having even pressures all around.
I wouldn't think it would care in 2x. Maybe I should look to getting a fullsize for my mothers 242 ZJ. It came with the cop teaser.

casm said:

Uhh can you actually verify this with any facts? I've had my 242 for 3 years had to run small spares on several occasions never had any difference. On one occasion I had to do 60 miles with the rear locked and a 30" on one side and a 215 on the other, which was interesting but still controllable. The 242 has a center gear differential for fulltime 4wd but there shouldn't be any difference with it in 2 with different tire sizes on one axle

I made a 31 inch tire out of heavy paper to see what it would look like on my 2000 and inside the spare tire area. Didnt fit too well.
DSC00080.jpg
DSC00081.jpg

needsrepair said:
I made a 31 inch tire out of heavy paper to see what it would look like on my 2000 and inside the spare tire area. Didnt fit too well.
DSC00080.jpg
DSC00081.jpg

you do know that 31s are really like 30.6 right and a 245 is like 30.4 trim it down it fits i have a friend who has one mounted

OK Yea Im actually going to 33 or 35 with a rear tire mount. I read a lot of good stuff on here and figured I would play around with a mock up. As you say the tire has to be measured to see the real size when inflated.

I have my MTR 33-12.5-15 lying down in the center of the rear of the cargo area of my '89 with the rear seat up and the hatch closes fine. My tool box sets on top, recovery gear bag and firstaid kit surrounding it and with the whole affair ratchet strapped to the floor (not w/factory tie downs) it doesn't obstruct rearward visibility and it is plenty secure.

The rearward slope of the rear seat and the slight forward cant of the hatch all combine to keep the tire solidly planted.

I also have spare axle shafts under the rear seat and the hi-lift on the roof. No shrtage of passenger room and the stuff stays put, even over some nasty, rocky trails.

i have tryed several times with my 31 spare, and mine looks like the cardboard cut out there, just no room and i have also tryed it sitting on top of a 12 inch box, and the way the seat leans back, and the hatch goes up, it will not work either, about the only thing for a 31 is flat on the floor, and the put your stuff on it.

Personally, i run mine on the roof rack just so that i can have some room in the jeep for other stuff when im wheeling. Like my survior box (tools, straps, fluids, comeallongs) and a cooler with out being over the back seat so i can still see out the window, and i dont have to worry about stuff flying over the back seat if i did not get a strap tight.

i have a 31 fully inflated kinda in the stock location. i still have the black tray below it and the tire makes contact with the rear sound bar. the tire nearly makes contact with the hatch and the seat is difficult to latch on that side. i have a aftermarket wheel (soft 8's with 4" BS) and the stock threaded rod was not long enough. so i used a ratchet strap and put the hooks through the holes for the stock mounting and made tight. the straps did streach at first so some play occured within a week and after 3 weeks. no biggie, just retighten

pics can be available upon request.

hth

With stock crap removed, and longer threaded rod, I have a 31x10.50 fully inflated in teh stock location. It depends on the tire, a 31" swamper is bigger than a 31" no name brand like my spare.

tireside.jpg

closes, not by a lot, and the seat is latched.

tirerear.jpg

tire.jpg

scoobyxj said:
I wouldn't think it would care in 2x. Maybe I should look to getting a fullsize for my mothers 242 ZJ. It came with the cop teaser.

It doesn't care as much, but I noticed that on the 242 (comparing this to the 231 that was in my old XJ) it is a little more sensitive to size and pressure. Agreed that it's definitely most noticeable in 4WD (range doesn't seem to matter much), though.

Inisadow said:
Uhh can you actually verify this with any facts?

See above.

I've had my 242 for 3 years had to run small spares on several occasions never had any difference. On one occasion I had to do 60 miles with the rear locked and a 30" on one side and a 215 on the other, which was interesting but still controllable. The 242 has a center gear differential for fulltime 4wd but there shouldn't be any difference with it in 2 with different tire sizes on one axle

Two different tyre sizes on one axle in any vehicle will create handling issues that weren't meant to be there. The only question is how noticeable they are.

98XJSport said:
With stock crap removed, and longer threaded rod, I have a 31x10.50 fully inflated in teh stock location. It depends on the tire, a 31" swamper is bigger than a 31" no name brand like my spare. closes, not by a lot, and the seat is latched.

Wish mine were like that. I have a 31x10.5 MTR that all but hits the sound bar in my 01, even with the stock black mount removed. Unless I put it in XXXX-eyed the hatch will not close and the seat will not latch. Even crooked the hatch is still pushed out a bit.

Back