• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Out of Ideas...(Brakes)

AdidasCJ

NAXJA Forum User
So... over the past few weeks i have been dealing with my XJ having NO stopping power.

Here is what has been replaced:

-Master Cylinder
-Booster
-Proporting Valve/rail
-Rear wheel Cylinders
-Calipers
-Soft Lines
-pads/shoes
-Bleed (ALOT)

I am confused and what else i would need to do to get some stopping power back. I have the pedal to the floor and i still go... Ive looked online and have tryed everything posted, with the excption of getting a 96 Jeep Double Diaphram Booster....

Anyone have ANY ideas to get some brakes back?! I even tryed flat out kicking her! And NOTHING.... Im at the end of what else to do....

Any Ideas?

:wow:

Did you bleed the master before you installed it? bench bleed... I made that mistake and had to pull it off and bleed it.

I did on the one i got from napa, but then i replaced the Master cylinder and boost7er off the green one i got from E... so i know that one worked cause i drove it home....

It sounds like you have trapped somewhere in there.

How are you bleeding them??

Whatever you do, don't pump the brakes, then open & close the bleeder valve. Pumping will create micro-bubbles.

Also, when I changed a prop valve recently, it was a PITA to bleed it.

E

It sounds like you have trapped somewhere in there.

How are you bleeding them??

Whatever you do, don't pump the brakes, then open & close the bleeder valve. Pumping will create micro-bubbles.

Also, when I changed a prop valve recently, it was a PITA to bleed it.

E

I did the gravity bleed and i did the whole pump and hold open valve... ive tryed both ways

I did the gravity bleed and i did the whole pump and hold open valve... ive tryed both ways

IMO, gravity bleeding sucks. There's nothing forcing the air out.

Vacuum bleeding is the best for a one-man-job. I have a vacuum bleeder if you want to borrow it..

The procedure I found to be the best is the one in the Jeep Service Manual. It requires 2 people.

1 person in the driver seat and the other at a wheel. Have the driver slightly press on the on the brake and when it goes down just a little bit, have the person at the wheel open the bleeder valve. Then, lightly press down the brake pedal. Before it hits the bottom, have the person at the wheel close the valve.

I hope this helps.

E

... Also start bleeding at the wheel furthest from the master.

Right rear then left rear, right front and then left front.

Unless the owners manual says otherwise.

Hope this helps

1 person in the driver seat and the other at a wheel. Have the driver slightly press on the on the brake and when it goes down just a little bit, have the person at the wheel open the bleeder valve. Then, lightly press down the brake pedal. Before it hits the bottom, have the person at the wheel close the valve.

I hope this helps.

E

Thats how I do hydraulic clutches. I just have some one "pump em and hold em" when doing brakes. Never had a problem. The vacuum bleeders work fine if you get a good one. My harbor freight one you have to push down on the lid to get a seal so its a PITA to use.

If you were in the OC, I'd tell you to bring it by.

You could always do something like these guys; their car seemed to always stop pretty well.

fred-flintstone-barney-rubble-car.jpg

it also would help if you posted what year, what axles,

I have never had bled a master cylinder off the vehicle. However, several manufactures suggest that you do that. I have the speed bleeders at each wheel and have never had a problem bleeding by myself either.
I always bleed with the engine running and the bleeders loosened just a hair with a clear hose attached to the nipple with the other end in a clear jar with break fluid in it. That way, I can see if there is m ore air in the system. I follow the same procedures starting with the furtherest wheel and work my way to the driver front last.

If you are sure all the air have been expelled from the system, then give the ppedal 2 or 3 strokes and see if the pedal get any higher. If it does, hold it for a minute or two to see if it holds pressure. If you are satisfied with the results try to adjust the shoes in the back wheels. With the back shoes properly adjusted the pedal should come up higher.

X2 on year and ABS/no ABS - if this is a 91 or earlier with ABS, your ABS unit could have failed and would explain this I think.

Back