• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drop bracket/trackbar issue?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I was chasing down a noise today, and removed the frame-end of the trackbar. The end of the bar shifted towards the front of the vehicle about 2". The noise was coming from the axle-end of the bar rubbing on the side of the mount.
It makes sense...The drop brackets move the axle forward from where it was; the frame mount stays in place; the bar's now misaligned.
I need some more bend in the bar or...?
Has anyone else run into this? I got it closer by shortening the UCAs to almost the shortest setting (15"), but the bar still has to be held over to the side to get the bolt started in the frame mount. BTW, it's an RE1600 trackbar.
Ideas?

The LCAs are fixed RE units.
More lift, huh? I like that idea, although it seems like it may make it worse the way it is. :confused:

If your only getting 4.5-5" out of those RE coils, then throw on a spacer, I don't have any touble with mine, and I have Rusty's 4.5" with a 2" spacer. I have the DB's and the RE arms just like you. I do have the LP D30, but I really doubt that makes any Diff.

Is the bar in front of the axle 2" or behind the axle? If behing, more lift should fix it. :)

XJCHUCK72 said:
If your only getting 4.5-5" out of those RE coils, then throw on a spacer, I don't have any touble with mine, and I have Rusty's 4.5" with a 2" spacer. I have the DB's and the RE arms just like you. I do have the LP D30, but I really doubt that makes any Diff.
What are running for a trackbar? RE1600?

I am also interested in this issue, as I am planning to install the DB this week. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I have Rusty's fixed lower arms, which are about 0.3" longer than the 16" suggested by RE. I am also using Rusty's heavy duty track bar and frame mount, so I think I can expect to face the same problems.

Where is Jason, he is the expert on this, he should be able to give us his guidelines.

Rgds

SV1CEC said:
I am also interested in this issue, as I am planning to install the DB this week. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I have Rusty's fixed lower arms, which are about 0.3" longer than the 16" suggested by RE. I am also using Rusty's heavy duty track bar and frame mount, so I think I can expect to face the same problems.

Where is Jason, he is the expert on this, he should be able to give us his guidelines.

Rgds

I don't see you having this problem, I have about 6.5-7" up front. Also you have the trackbar mount, it may move the frame mount forward a bit, I'll have to measure to be sure.

I don't have the problems Bill is describing, at one time I did try an RE trackbar, the one without the mount with the Hiem, and I had trouble making it fit. So I ended up keeping my Rusty's and got the HD mount for it.

The DB will make a huge difference on how your XJ rides and handles. Goodluck!

XJCHUCK72 said:
I don't see you having this problem, I have about 6.5-7" up front. Also you have the trackbar mount, it may move the frame mount forward a bit, I'll have to measure to be sure.

I don't have the problems Bill is describing, at one time I did try an RE trackbar, the one without the mount with the Hiem, and I had trouble making it fit. So I ended up keeping my Rusty's and got the HD mount for it.

The DB will make a huge difference on how your XJ rides and handles. Goodluck!

Yeah, I am sure it will, if we manage to solve the control arms length issue. My mechanic is worried that at 15" the upper arms and 16" the lowers, they will move the axle too much forward and also change the caster so much that it will end up being positive. Also, my XJ does not have the openings on the frame rails which allow you to drill the UCA's holes, so we 'll have to drill the frame too.

I wish there was one thing I want to do on that truck, that is done the easy way. Even the simplest things end up in a chore!!!

Thanks Chuck, I'll keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Rgds

Back