• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear door locks sticking

93xjowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 jeep xj, my front door locks lock and unlock real good but my back door locks only gohalf way when i hit unlock, any suggestion on getting them to start unlocking all the way. thks

I have a 93 jeep xj, my front door locks lock and unlock real good but my back door locks only gohalf way when i hit unlock, any suggestion on getting them to start unlocking all the way. thks
dont they all do that? Mine sure do

My truck does that, what i do is keep hitting it to lock or unlock several times.

My rear door works well and only find my one rear drivers door likes to stick.

I have not bothered to look at it since I have only had the truck for a week and have other issues to deal with.

Open it up and spray on some WD40

Pretty easy to solve actually...

Part numbers for a 93 rear door latch - 5502 6382 and 5502 6383 (these will also work on 94-96 and possibly earlier than 93 as well.) Pick em up on any mopar parts reseller site. I'm fairly certain you can get them for 35 bucks or so on discountjeepparts.com as well, that's where I got my front right door latch when mine did the same thing.

You can also pull them at the junkyard (you'll need a torx set and some patience) for like ten each, expect to be dunking them in a parts cleaner or degreaser bucket and scrubbing the heck out of them, then regreasing with white lithium spray grease.

EDIT: handle it now (however you do - you can also pull and clean/regrease your existing ones if they aren't rusted heavily like mine were) before they freeze up entirely and you can't open that door. That's how I bought my XJ, I had to tear the crap out of the right front door trim on the inside to get it apart with the door closed so I could hit the force-unlock lever inside.

One of my yearly routine maintenance on my '96 XJ is to pull off the door trim panels and clean/spray good silicone on all the locking mechanisms and pivot points. It's not hard to do and as long as the lock actuators are working and they are getting power to the rear doors it's the cheapest and easiest way to make sure your locks work.

This happens to me and becomes more evident w/the weather get's COLD ... The way the wiring is on our jeeps ... not the best design... but the rear door locks don't get a full 12 volt shot when you unlock the doors... probably closer to 7-9 volts... and that's just not very efficient at working the door lock actuators if they're gummy or dirty and it's cold.

If you pull off the interior trim panel and work the lock... you can see what all needs to be cleaned and lubricated.

Good luck.

yeah idk if im having the same problem but my drivers side rear door i have to pump the button on the handle 2 or 3 times before it will open.

Back