• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Linkage

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright folks, I've had this problem for a while now. Basically the pivot point for the t-case linkage doesn't line up anymore. I thought it was because of my bent up crossmember, so I replaced it. The whole pivot point assembly is sitting about 1/2" too high. At one point in time I had a drop kit for the T-case. Anyone ever have this problem, and how did you fix it. I've tried forcing it in there, and it'll work for a little while..

What year? What trans case?

Was the tc lever modified when the drop kit was installed?

Novak makes a tc shifter that eliminates the current linkage altogether.

Advance Adapters makes a bracket for the NP231 that eliminates the body mounted bearing. Depending on the year of your XJ you may need the tc bracket from a TJ.

Is your transmission mount shot so that the trans/tc sits too low?

97' XJ Sport, has the 231 T-case behind an AX15

If the t-case isn't dropped there's no reason it shouldn't line up, unless the tranny mount is totally collapsed.

i have a 1.25" t/C drop on my auto with the 231, and what i did was lower my body side mount 3/4" lower to compensate for the drop. it fixed my linkage and everything works perfect.

how did you lower the body side mount? just drill another hole?

how did you lower the body side mount? just drill another hole?

On my 90 it was four small bolts through the transmission hump into the bearing plate.

Same on the 98 I pulled a shifter+linkage from.

I thought it was because of my bent up crossmember, so I replaced it. The whole pivot point assembly is sitting about 1/2" too high.

from your sig line, you are running an AX15.....did your replacement crossmember come from an AX15 equipped rig? Reason is, the AX15 crossmember is different than an AX4/5, AW4, or BA10/5 one....the center section of it is notched out 1/2" where the tranny mount sits.

Had the exact same problem when I swapped an AX15 into mine and tried to use the old crossmember. I've got a crappy pic of it somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

Jeff

edit: kind of hard to see, but look at the top of the crossmember where the mount sits

IMG_2355.jpg

Last edited:
The crossmember I put in was made by OMIX

I may end up doing the Novak conversion if I can scrounge up some money. This will fit with my rig correct? I assume the fact that I have a manual instead of an automatic should matter since the kit eliminates the body side mounting.

I may end up doing the Novak conversion if I can scrounge up some money. This will fit with my rig correct? I assume the fact that I have a manual instead of an automatic should matter since the kit eliminates the body side mounting.

Yes, they have it for the 231 and others.

Link to their NP231, there is a link to the installation instructions down the page a bit: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm

now, since I swapped out my crossmember, and it may or may not have been intended for an AX15 equipped XJ, would it be possible to take the rubber "pad"? out of an automatic and swap out the large one on my current setup, would that lower the T-case in respect to the crossmember?

Take a look at this before decide on the Novak kit.

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

Damn it man! I wish I knew about this before I spent the $155 for the linkage kit plus $30 for the aliminiun knob plus shipping from Novak, I mean the kit is top notch quality and their customer service is excellent but I'd take a pass on all of it for this fix.

What a great idea, $20 in parts and I bet it works as good as the Novak kit.

Last edited:
I just built something similar to the bsfab setup, made my own tc tab and just extended the stock lever. Works extremely well, although it takes a tiny bit of muscle to get into 4low...which is OK since I'm the only one that will ever be putting my rig into 4 low.

Here's a few snaps of the stuff I made...this was before I cut things down to proper sizes.

IMG_0203.jpg

Don't mind the holes drilled in this, it was a piece of scrap used for the mock up.

IMG_0202.jpg

I'm going to try to crawl under the Jeep in the next couple days to get pictures of the finished product. Everything inside the cab lines up perfectly, the lever is in the stock positions for 2 4hi N 4low.

Quite a few cheaper alternatives have been posted about building a new linkage, which I may end up doing. However, earlier it was brought up that maybe the rubber pad may be different for an AX15 equipped XJ? I'm still a little confused on this, does anyone have any other info or comparison pics.

Damn it man! I wish I knew about this before I spent the $155 for the linkage kit plus $30 for the aliminiun knob plus shipping from Novak, I mean the kit is top notch quality and their customer service is excellent but I'd take a pass on all of it for this fix.

What a great idea, $20 in parts and I bet it works as good as the Novak kit.

It works great. I did this about a year ago and it worked flawlessly. I have a 242, so I had to modify it slightly (welded longer tabs on both the t-case shift tab and the lower tab connected to the shifter handle) but the concept is the same. Eliminate the double-action factory shift linkage that gets sloppy and can bind over time. Fantastic mod and super cheap.

I just used mine the other day in the snow. Works great, feels really solid, worth the $20 for sure.

I got this XJ from somebody who had no right owning a Schwinn let alone a 4wd vehicle. Been cleaning up all the stuff that had been neglected (didn't even have a rear DS when I got it). I was missing the trans mounting bracket completely, so this was easier for me than a trip to the junk yard. Only thing I had to do was pick up the rod ends, had everything else hanging out in the garage.

Woohoo, got it fixed! Ended up unbolting the mount on the transmission tunnel, redrilling the holes and moving it up about an inch, works just fine.

Back