• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start, need to get to work/school

quinnt

NAXJA Forum User
My 01 xj won't start. Everytime I turn the key it just makes a single click noise. Had 2 different battery packs and two different vehicles try jumping it. When its not attached to a battery pack or booster vehicle the voltmeter reads around 10. when attached to another vehicle it reads a little under 14 and drops a little when the key is turned. I've tried putting it in nuetral and starting it, have tried banging on the starter while someone tries to start it. Still just makes a click sound.

2001 xj, automatic

Thanks

It's either the battery (dead) or starter. Try swaping out one, then the other to isolate.

But, wait! Does the 01 have a small relay near the battery that feeds power to the starter solenoid on the starter, like the 87-90 models do? If so it could be the relay, or a fuse!!!!!

You need to get a wiring diagram and track down the areas that can fail, fuse, fuse link, starter relay, neutral safety switch, just for starters! Check the old posts here with a google search and read old threads here that might have a diagram for the 2001 starting circuit, and try to get an FSM or at least a Haynes book )local auto parts stores) that has electrical layouts and trouble shooting charts.

Last edited:
I have a haynes manual, I'll check in there to see.

It'd make more sense to me if it was a fuse/relay. when the starter went in my rodeo it was a gradual thing. this was just sudden

Last edited:
There is a relay in the PDC (under hood fuse box) that powers the starter solenoid. Fuse 10 in the PDC feeds the power side of that relay. The activation side of the relay is powered by the 19 fuse in the junction block (interior fuse block).

Have you tried jumping across from the big wire on the starter to the small terminal on the starter? If that works, you know that your starter and battery are good.

Last edited:
If your static voltage on the battery is 10 volts, then your battery is probably crap.

Swap with a known good battery with a charge and give it a try. And yes, if your battery is crap it may not allow you to jump it with packs or other autos.

If your static voltage on the battery is 10 volts, then your battery is probably crap.

Swap with a known good battery with a charge and give it a try. And yes, if your battery is crap it may not allow you to jump it with packs or other autos.

Begs the question of what was he using to get that 10V reading. Dash gauge or a real meter under the hood across the battery?

6 F is no help either, LOL! Brrrr.

I was using the dash meter as I don't currently have a real one.

Don't know about the later years dash meter, but the older ones are a POS when it comes to accuracy. Get a real meter under the hood and check the battery voltage, and the cable to post attachments too!

Back