• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl intake vs snorkel

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched and searched havent found any debates on these two methods and i cant decide what way to go so i am asking you guys who have either one what you like about it and what you dislike about it because im gonna do one of them just can decide so let the debate begin :yelclap:

I have a cowl intake.

The primary reason I went with the cowl instead of the external tube (poop pipe or high $) was because of how tight the trails are that I run. I lean on trees and rocks often enough that an external pipe would get ripped off after a few weekends.

The secondary reason I choose the cowl is water depth. All of the water crossings in my area are at most 3 to 4 feet deep unless you DECIDE go off of the fording lane. A cowl intake gave me plenty of height for anything I will see here.

John

Good Debate, I am trying to figure out which one I want to use also. The snorkel is expensive and can be broken easily, for me when its -20 out plastic is very brittle and I think I would brake it on a tree limb or such. the cowl intake has possible flaw, the amount of water that could possibly go over your hood and into the intake system depending on how you drive and what you are driving through could cause problems. but it does open up a nice spot for a battery. I think it depends on the look you want, money you want to spend, and the amount of water you drive through. I am in-favor of the cowl induction but I have seen a lot of water crossings that get DEEP.

What about snow?
Seems you need to get snow off the cowl before starting up, right?
Otherwise it gets sucked into the engine with no chance of melting and draining until the engine bay is warmed up.

We had 8 inches of snow here yesterday and my XJ started and ran fine with the cowl completely blocked. It's able to draw air from the drainage ports on the side, and worst case it can pull air through the cabin air inlet.

Hmmmm

Good to know.
My son knocked my snorkel off this week and ran over it.
May have to rethink this.

677XJsnorkle03-med.JPG

so what happens with the water in the cowl does it XXXX everyhting up cu where i live we get alot of snow and rain up in the great white north dont wanna bugger up the new engine what about building a scoop for it so the top is coverd?

Cowl Intake:

ChromY90
Snow, ice and rain dont afffect it at all. The hole in the firewall is a couple inches above the floor of the cowl so the water just drains away. Snow just melts off and drains away. As was said earlier there are lots of places to draw air in from. I have had mine about 4 years in Virginia where we get all four seasons in spades, nothing bad to report.

garrr
I did not notice any increase in noise except at wide open throttle and even then its just a nice mellow sound, nothing loud or offensive.

I went cheap and used the old airbox with PVC pipe and dryer hose. I did fabricate a very nice sheet metal adapter for the fire wall.

My set up is almost exactly the same as this with the exception of the flex hose.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016358&highlight=cowl+intake

I used dryer vent tube and took that to a retangular sheet metal adapter that I fabricated that is sealed to the fire wall.

What ever you end up doing RAISE THE VENT TUBES so they are higher (rear axle, front axle & transmission)

Stoneyva21
Send me pm (naxja or NOVA) when you get it installed. I would like to see it.

John

I would never want my intake to dump directly into my throttle body. I like how the stock airbox could take a little water and be fine. I just completed a 2" PVC snorkel and I think it looks great.

I've had both setups. Used to have a Safari snorkel and now have the filter inside the cowl. My cowl intake write-up is here: http://ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

There are advantages to both, or I should say there are "disadvantages" to both, depending on how you look at it.

Yes the snorkel can get damaged or ripped off with it on the exterior of the jeep. The filter inside the cowl will make a loud sucking noise, but on mine it is only on startup and quiets down after that.

The height of the intake is not really an issue. I can tell you from experience that if you enter water deeper than your cowl, the jeep will float for some time until water displaces air in the cab. The cowl will be above water until it sinks. Most people in their right minds should be wise enough to avoid the really deep water, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Also a lot of people seem to freak out about rain or snow. This is totally a NON-ISSUE. Water enters your cowl all the time and it flows out. You would need a solid flow of water directly into the engine to cause damage and this isn't going to happen unless your cowl fills up with water.

so far looks like its gonna be a cowl for me thanks to all have posted so far but would like more opinions as well

Cowl all the way for me too, greta set up frees up much needed engine bay space. and the filter is shielded on the passanger side, that mesh looking stuff on the cowl on that side, is actually solid..

Back