• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal oil leak...

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
I just found out I have a leak on my rear main seal on the motor mount on my 95 XJ. it is leaking oil, but not real bad. they siad keep and eye on it and make sure my oil is always topped off.

I dont have the cash to get that seal fixed. is this ok? anyone have this problem?

is there anything i can put in there to fix up that seal? maybe an additive or something? any insight is welcomed...
:(

When you say on the motor mount, is that on the passenger side? Maybe its not the rear main at all. The location you give sounds like the filter base O-rings and if this is correct it will cost 20 to $35 plus installation. If you can get under there you could verify this.

only cost 14 bucks to buy a new seal, do the work yourself should only take 2-3 hrs of work do a search there are step by step instructions on the board

hawaiian89xj said:
only cost 14 bucks to buy a new seal, do the work yourself should only take 2-3 hrs of work do a search there are step by step instructions on the board

Yeah, $14 for the seal and 50 bucks for the pan gasket.

I'm still not clear where this leak is, since a rear main seasl can't leak onto a motor mount.

50 bucks, dude your getting ripped off, check out partsamerica.com there 25

my old jeep leaked at the rear main. It was not a major leak so I always made sure like you said to top my oil off frequently until i had enough money to have it fixed trust me that is not something you want to do yourself it is a pain

The first order of business is to confirm the source of the leak. If you have trouble pinning it down, cleaning everything up under there and driving a day and then inspecting may help you. If the source is coming from above the pass. side motor mount, then it may be the filter, filter base o-rings, or oil pressure sender. Any of these are fairly cheap. If the source is at the back of the engine, the rear main seal and the valve cover gasket are suspects. If you are not clear on these things, a mechanic may help you by cleaning it and getting it up on a lift and running it. Its amazing how clear things are when you have it up on a lift. If you are patient, though, you should be able to locate the problem yourself.

ATP (Automatic Trans Parts) makes a great additive for engine oil/ATF/PS fluid you use maybe a 3rd of the pint sized bottle for 5 - 6 qt capacity engine, it soaks up into any rubber seal or gasket and expands it slightly to stop any leaking. great stuff i used it in my old xj the part number is AT205 most any parts store should have something similiar. I would recomend that if you dont want to replace the rear main yourself. I would also recomend making sure it is your rear main. while your at the parts store pick up one of those ugly neon light thingys riceb oys stick under their cars and get some engine leak dye. pour some of the dye in and crank it up and use the neon light to trace where the engine oil is comming from

(works best at night, i have also found those glow sticks that you pop can trace the dye as well depending on the brand)

hope this helps

Back