• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail light wiring

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am trying to figure out what wires are positive/negative on my 97. I need to get my tail light housings on sometime soon.

Your reply sounds like you already knew the answer. Why did you ask the question?

If I misunderstood your question and it really is "Which wires are both positive and negative on your '97", the answer is ---- NONE.

Seriously though, was there a question you needed answered?

Wait a minute! DUH! The question was facetious to begin with.

:doh:

OK. Let me play.

Question: My XJ rolled over on it's roof and is now not firing correctly on all 7 cylinders. Does this mean that I need to roll it back onto it's wheels to make it run right, or is it ruined? :roll:

Your reply sounds like you already knew the answer. Why did you ask the question?

If I misunderstood your question and it really is "Which wires are both positive and negative on your '97", the answer is ---- NONE.

Seriously though, was there a question you needed answered?

Wait a minute! DUH! The question was facetious to begin with.

:doh:

OK. Let me play.

Question: My XJ rolled over on it's roof and is now not firing correctly on all 7 cylinders. Does this mean that I need to roll it back onto it's wheels to make it run right, or is it ruined? :roll:

No, dummy! I meant the wires on the Jeep. You know, the ones attached to the Bulb sockets! :doh: Now, if you don't have anything to contribute than random jackassery, SHUT UP! :D J/K:smootch:

Your doing electrical work and you dont have a Test light or a DVM!

I have a DVM. I was just figuring someone could tell me the colors of the wires to make it easier since plenty of people have done it. If you guys don't wanna help don't post! :laugh3:

I'll help. Winterbeater was nice enough to answer your question correctly as it was posed. If you wanted some other information you should have posed the question differently and as respects wiring color codes, specified the year in question.

At this point one has to assume that you are replacing the stock tail light housings with some aftermarket design and ripped out the original wiring and clipped off the sockets without tagging them. Still easy to sort out with a meter or test light and a couple of minutes. Have fun!

Get yourself a DMM for lights/getting really accurate voltage measurements, and an analog voltmeter to look for flaky sensors... both invaluable tools.

I'll help. Winterbeater was nice enough to answer your question correctly as it was posed.

At this point one has to assume that you are replacing the stock tail light housings with some aftermarket design and ripped out the original wiring and clipped off the sockets without tagging them. Still easy to sort out with a meter or test light and a couple of minutes. Have fun!

I'll admit it, that post sounded like i was drunk or something. It was like 4 in the morning when I posted! :doh:

As for your assumption, you are totally wrong. I do it right the first time and I also included the year of my jeep in the original post. My tail lights are still there and my housings are sitting on top of my mini-fridge. I was hoping someone had a link so I didn't have to guess whats what with my DMM( i said DVM earlier in the thread but its actually a multimeter). So back to the question at hand. Who has a wiring diagram for the taillights on my 97! If you happen to have an FSM you can PM it to me since you can't post them here.

:cheers:

Oops, I missed the '97 in the first post.

If you want a wiring diagram, I guess it's not for me or anyone else to say you don't need it. However, it might help with replies and if you would briefly explain what you are trying to accomplish. I think of tail light wiring as easy in that a visual inspection with the housing removed immediately tells the function for each socket and its associated wiring. I don't have a diagram so I'm mostly just curious what you are doing, and of course, a brief description might help someone else someday.

Just my thoughts.

Oops, I missed the '97 in the first post.

If you want a wiring diagram, I guess it's not for me or anyone else to say you don't need it. However, it might help with replies and if you would briefly explain what you are trying to accomplish. I think of tail light wiring as easy in that a visual inspection with the housing removed immediately tells the function for each socket and its associated wiring. I don't have a diagram so I'm mostly just curious what you are doing, and of course, a brief description might help someone else someday.

Just my thoughts.

Putting these on my Jeep: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2...&Product_Code=XJTLHSG97&Category_Code=XJArmor

I know which bulb goes to what socket i.e. tail light, reverse, turn signal. Just want to know what color wires are positive and negative coming out of the Jeep so my Led lights will work correctly. I don't NEED a diagram but its Cold and i'd rather not dick with testing the wires when its cold outside!

:dunno: I guess electrical is harder than I thought... I'd just strip all the wire ends (gonna have to anyways), grab the test light, throw a brick on the brake pedal, find and hook up the brake positive wires, take the brick off and put it in reverse (transfer case in neutral, parking brake on), find and hook up the reverse lights, etc etc etc till only one wire is left, which is clearly the ground wire.

ill tell you in the am. i just put leds in my jeep. mines a 91 but theres a chance the wires are the same.

Back