• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 oil pressure - is this normal?

1988 Cherokoo

NAXJA Forum User
my 88 xj oil pressure guage ALWAYS!!!!! sits at 1/4
is this normal?

I tried to do a search but its soooooooo slow.

I have not noticed it at highway speeds, but idle, rev while parked, city driving all sits at 1/4 oil pressure. My buds similar model at startup goes to halfway, he tells me his goes down to 1/4 and is normal.

Oil pressure should always fluctuate between idle and higher rpms. Looking for a minimum of 13 psi at hot idle and between 37-75 psi over 1600 rpms.

Does your oil pressure reading go down to ZERO with engine off?

Pull the connector off of the sending unit (right be the oil filter), inspect connector for damage, clean thoroughly and reconnect. Inspect wiring.

If no luck, it is possible that the gauge itself is in play, but the vast majority of oil pressure reading problems are related to the oil pressure sending unit.

I recommend buying them directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. Aftermarket senders are pretty hit and miss with quality and longevity.

Last edited:
Basic rule of thumb (not FSM) is minimum 10 psi @ idle, and 10 psi for each 1000 rpm.

I always recommend you verify oil pressure with a mechanical gauge whenever in doubt.

Pull the wire from the oil pressure sender on the OFA, and ground it. The gauge should "peg" at maximum. If it does, replace the sender, if it doesn't then you have a gauge/wiring problem. If you need to buy a sender get one from the dealer or NAPA.

I got it up to 90 km/h and the needle does not budge one bit.
When I turn the truck on, it sits and stays at 1.5 on the guage = 1/4

Parked = 1.5 (1/4)
Parked Rev = 1.5 (1/4)
City Street Driving = 1.5 (1/4)
Highway Driving = 1.5 (1/4)

I am going to start narrowing it down by the recommendations given.

Back