• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Temp Gauge

MudfrogK5

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into adding a temp gauge since I only have a dummy light (90 model). If I have read correctly I should be able to just swap in a thermostat housing from a later model 4.0 that is already threaded for a sending unit. Would this be the best route to take? I plan on leaving the dummy light alone.

I've always read that you should add a temp gauge Before the thermostat not after. If something happens and your thermostat sticks closed you won't know the real temp...

Not sure about renix, but on 91 and up, the housing already has a switch in it. It has to in order to make the computer switch from closed to open.

You can swap the panel with a 90 model that came with guages and change the switches to sensors and you're good to go.

On the Renix the temperature gauge/idiot light sender is in the head, driver's side near the firewall, single-wire connector.

If you want to put in an aftermarket gauge, just get a sender for the gauge that will fit the port in the head.

You can swap out the instrument panel for one with a gauge, and just put in the correct sender.

I've always read that you should add a temp gauge Before the thermostat not after. If something happens and your thermostat sticks closed you won't know the real temp...

The later models have the sender in the Tstat. According to an IR thermometer, the dash gauge is accurate within 5-10 degrees. Don't see why an aftermarket gauge wouldn't work there.

Ok, bought a thermostat housing for a later model. It has the sending unit port. I also bought a B&M water temp gauge. It included some adapters but they do not seem to work. What size do I need? It included 1/8 NPT to 3/8 NPT and 1/8 NPT to 1/2NPT. The 1/2 NPT looks as if it would fit but immediately locks once I start to thread.

X2 Joes post..

The sensor at the thermostat is for the computer only.

The Temp Gauge Sensor is at the back of the head, by firewall, drivers side.

Aftermarket-wherever you put it.

I had the same issue on my 87 renix and i did just like you but i used a sunpro guage and mounted it in the thermostat house that i bought off of a later model (around 92 or 93) and it worked out just fine. if im correct i had to use the 3/8 NPT fitting but it threaded in just fine. Check the threads on the housing and make sure they look ok. It may not have been machined very well.

Might be in the minority here but I'd rather upgrade the gauge cluster (gets real oil pressure/battery voltage gauges as a bonus) and pull an oil pressure sensor and temp sender at the same time at the junkyard than add an aftermarket one that requires threading wires and cluttering up my dashboard/A-pillar more. Probably costs less at the junkyard, too.

Back