• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vac Res relocation

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After a close encounter with Bambi the other day I now have no cruise and the heat fluctuates from floor to windshield all classic examples of a busted resivoious(sp) --not to mention grill,header panel,bumper,fog lights....
Front reciever hitch kept him out of the important parts..

A nice reason to get that winch bumper now---But back to the question wher have you located the resv--just any place it fits,under battery / or drivers side where air box was ???

This is a 96 it that even matters

Thanks
Wayne

On your 96 is the vac canister the longer oblong one or the smaller round one?

Secondly, since you have cruise I am assuming your setup is the same as my 2001 and have an actuator mounted on the passenger side fender behind the battery.

I just threw my canister in next to my engine block between the engine and the coolant resevoir.

Wherever it fits, I bet you could even put it over the rear axle and run a line back there. Other places you could stash it would be inside the front fenders, or get a 97+ washer fluid tank and pull your 96's washer fluid tank out, gives you enough space for a reservoir and maybe even an OBA compressor.

PS - it's spelled reservoir ;)

</english nazi>

Its the small oblong one--1 hose in. Local former Jeep dealer had the old 87-90 4 hose one in stock. 3 days to get from the new dealer.

Wayne

Are you looking for options until you get things repaired? First thing is to plug off the vacuum line so that unfiltered air isn't getting sucked into the engine, and your accessories will work a little better too. Long term fix is put the reservoir wherever you want--I had mine by the blower motor while doing some front end work, but then put it back in the original spot under the replacement bumper when I was finished.

Go buy yourself about 7 ft of vacuum hose that will push onto the plastic tube, and mount the bottle between the master cylinder and where the airbox was (like I did over the summer when I put on my JCR bumper).

I zip-tied the blimp in place, and routed the vac line along the big wiring harness that runs along the top of the firewall. Simple, easy, and secure. Took me about 20 minutes.

Could you use the multi-port blimp, and just put block-offs on the other ports?

Rob

After pulling the blimp out of the mangled bumper--it was all right. Started checking farther-found the small line that T-s off main line to the servo unit had snapped in two.

A check of old parts from the vac disco from the 87 had the correct ends for a quick fix.BUT I also found that the 14 year old plastic line is brittle and broke more line.

Too cold to do proper fix,but new blimp on order,and everything is working. Will address the brittle line when it warms up.

Wayne

Back