• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers/ice whats the big deal??

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
So i know that some lockers are not street legal in certain parts of the country, what im wondering is why? and is it really that much different to drive on ice??

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure where this thread is going, but I find it easier to drive in the snow with a locker in the rear. My XJ has open diffs and my buddy has a Powertrax in the rear of his and in back to back driving in the snow I prefer the locker. The locker makes it easier to steer with the throttle.

So i know that some lockers are not street legal in certain parts of the country, what im wondering is why? and is it really that much different to drive on ice??

I am not sure if lockers are illegal anywhere. On ice you need to be careful either way. Lockers will not help you stop on ice, nor will 4wd for that matter. Just be cautious when driving in winter weather with auto-lockers or an engaged locker and you will be just fine.

Im not sure if I would want to drive with lockers on the snow/ice and road anyways.

My friend had a SAS Ranger and it was locked all the way around. It was pretty hard to control going down a snowy road at speed (40-45)

It was easier to just leave it in 2wd.

Im new to the Jeep scene so it could just be the kind of locker if it makes a difference

I could see a front locker being a pain in snow while engaged, but a rear locker makes the handling more predictable than an open rear diff. With open diffs in 4WD in snow, sometimes I get oversteer, sometimes understeer. With a rear locker in 4WD, it's always oversteer.

I'd much prefer driving in the snow with my rear locked. Don't have to worry about the tires spinning when you hit big patches of snow on just one side of the Jeep.

:looney:

I suspect you're actually talking about beadlocks.

I drive in snow (deep and shallow) with lockers and beadlocks front and rear.

its not illegal and i dont have any problems. :)

MY 3 link (modified OEM design) was fully legal...

unless the inspection station actually realized my right LCA bracket was rusted off the axle tube :anon:

I thought I had a pre-ban 3link. ;)

those are called "tre-links" (pronounced "tray"-link)... if you refer to it as a 3-link its definitely illegal.

wait, seriously 3 links are illegal?

Back