• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free jeep

ecgtech

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to be long-winded, but here goes. I had an 89 for several years and loved it, everything about it. I spent a lot of time when I got her getting her in shape and had everything just the way i wanted it. Then I went to law school and started to realize that i had neither the time nor the money to continue maintaining my 21 year old jeep as a daily driver. So I sold her and bought a Forester (which are fantastic by the way). I've wanted another XJ ever since i watched mine drive away. My buddy's dad just blew the engine on his '99 and has offered it to me for free. The Jeep has a relatively new AW4 and np 232. I have not seen the jeep yet, but it is being literally given to me if I can come and take it away.

My questions are
1. what years of the 4.0 are direct replacements for a 99? I'm pretty sure that any 4.0 from 91-99 will work, but think i remember something about a change in '97 because of the different front clip.

2. How difficult is the engine swap? I don't have a garage, i am rather mechanically inclined (i had to be given the condition of my last jeep when i bought her).

3. Is it worth it? I know the '99 is a favored year for the XJ because it was the last year before the 00-01 manifold issues. I just want to have a jeep again that won't be a daily driver, my hobby more or less.

any thoughts are helpful, also the jeep is in hartford CT.

Thanks,

ECGTECH

when you do the engine swap, put the torque converter in the transmission (properly seated!) and bolt it to the flex plate after bolting the engine to the bellhousing. Trying to stab the torque converter into the transmission with an engine attached to it is going to blow up your torque converter or tranny fluid pump or both.

From what I've seen, the worst part of an engine swap is all the stuff around the back of the engine compartment, the rest is pretty OK.

While you have the new engine on a stand, replace the seals (front/rear mains at the very least), pan gasket, front pump seal on the AW4, and put brass freeze plugs in it instead of steel. Basically do any of the cheap stuff that will go bad eventually but is a royal pain in the butt once the engine is installed.

I think you're right on the direct swap years, not sure, make sure you get an engine that doesn't have an 0331 head casting.

if you get the jeep and the old motor is still in it, pretty much any 4.0 will swap. You would just reuse all the accessories off the blown motor. It's not a hard swap if you have an engine hoist. its straight forward, and it's definitely worth it, especially if the jeep is free. 99's were the last year of the high pinion d30, they had the newer intake manifold, the stronger head casting, and were still a distributor system. they went to coil packs in 2000. I'd definitely get it. If you dont want to take it on, I'll def come take it off your hands!

Yeah, if you don't end up taking it, I sure as hell will :D That's less than an hour and a half from me.

I kinda figured that somebody else might be willing to take it if i didn't want to. I'm going to look at it on saturday and will post up pics/ more info about the jeep. The guy wants to get rid of it period, so i'll let you know what happens and if he would be interested in letting it to someone else.

I'll pay either you or him if needed, not sure how much though. Need to look at my finances...

I really think you should get it though - not trying to yank it out from under you, just sayin' :eyes: :D

Putting the cart before the horse here, (well, perhaps not since metaphorically the 4.0 would be the horse and the jeep would be the cart and i've already got the jeep) but does anyone know of a 4.0 that is available in Connecticut? Ill post in the wanted section of the for sale board as well, but if someone knows of a running 4.0 that someone is looking to part with, let me know.

You might want to check into pull a part, pick apart ect. They often sell engines priced by the cylinder, irregardless of make, condition, or miles. The ones around here are about $125 for a six cylinder, come complete fan to flywheel including all accessories (fan, alt, ps pump, ect) and the experience of pulling it yourself will benifit you on the install. I have seen quite a few XJ and ZJ up there that the subframe rusted through, but are running fine. So I would look for rust or wrecks. If the body looks good it was junked for a bad trans or engine most likey. Hearing it run would be best.

Back