• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat fan switch question

cherokee4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about getting this 195-thermostat kit to drive the electric fan which will be replacing my stock clutch fan:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=29209

I currently have a brass temperature sensor that drives my after-market temp gauge which I'll have to pull out so the above fan sensor can use that screw-in space.

My question is, can I ALSO connect my temp gauge sensor WIRE to the fan sensor?

I don't care if my gauge all of a sudden goes from 0 to 200 when the sensor/switch does its thing.

I'm guessing this is what will happen, by the way.

Also, are these sensors/switches basicly making a ground wire connection when they switch on?

Your responses will be GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS!

You could just put it in a brass T-fitting.
Wayne

Sorry - I should have mentioned that I already have a brass T-fitting.

Its a 98 4.0 and the factory sensor plugs into the brass T-fitting and the T-fitting plugs into the thermo housing. I'm not sure how many of these T-fittings I can piggy-back?

Does anyone make a 3-female to 1-male (instead of the 2-female to 1-male T-fitting I already have)? Geez, what about the weight of a bigger 3-female possibly cracking the thermo housing?

So anyhoo, can anyone answer my original question of connecting both leads to the fan temp sensor switch?

THANKS!

Both your temp senders are a resistor type--they vary their output according to the temp.One to the guage the other to the engine control comp.
You need a sender/ switch that closes at a preset temp to run the fan.Look at that jegs catalog closer and I bet you can find a pipe/hose fitting that a sender can be screwed into /radiator hose size.
I hope you understand what i,m trying to say---
Wayne

Could use DINO's help here...

Actually, Wayne made me think...

Seeing that both of those sensors have leads that send a varied "amount of power" to either the computer or the gauge, I wonder if I can simply splice into the lead that send the signal to the computer, and use the new splice for the gauge ALSO.

Dino Savva spliced into the computer lead in this article:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/CTS.html

Hopefully I don't fry my computer!

DINO - WANT TO CHIME IN?

Thanks.

Re: Could use DINO's help here...

I have something similar - the Painless Wiring electric fan kit. It's water-tight and has worked great so far. I didn't have a brass t-fitting, so I found an unused thread plug in the driver side of the block. Just unscrew the plug and put the sensor in. Done. Then you won't have to move everything around.

Back