• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheelhop issues

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ - Bastard pack with a whole blazer pack under the stock XJ main. Some $20 autozone MJ shocks.

I have nasty wheelhop. Its fine on pavement and rain, its only in loose surfaces like deeper snow and sand. Its bad enough that I can see it in the snow afterward. The only way it seems to get around it is to back way out of it, or throttle out of it.

My bastard pack is stiff and I plan on pulling a couple leafs out of it and using a set of shackles to bring me back up to my ~3"

Will the softer pack make it worse? Possible its the cheap shocks?

I also get bad wheel hop in the snow... Im all stock setup as of now. I do have a blown bushing in one of my shocks... seems like that could be the culprit? Bad shocks?

The fore and aft placement of the shocks on the rear axle is made to help with wheel hop/axle wrap, so any problems with the shocks will let it get worse.

On the blazer bastard pack, does the pack extend all the way to the spring eye, or does it stop somewhere(2-4")away from the front spring eye? Most b-pack builds say to run the 2nd leaf full length. Also, did you put the spring clamps back when you were done? If not, that will make spring wrap worse too.

taking leafs out will make your problem worse.
correct me if im wrong
but when i had axle hope with my stalk leaf pack i put in an add a leaf and it stoped.

Old, worn or soft top leaves like those on my 14 year old XJ will allow that to happen. I have added a leaf from a Dakota with a longer shackle to give me the height I need. However, any attempt at wheel spin will induce wheel hop. I will be getting new packs.

I found that I get wheel hop in the snow too. I haven't noticed it when spinning on dry or wet pavement, but we just got 5" of wet snow and I was getting it pretty easily. 1st when pulling out a 3/4 ton dodge and later just playing around in 2wd.

I like my bastard pack, it's a stock main and the full pack from an s10. Any suggestions for traction bars? I don't want slappers cause they hang down way too low.

I found that I get wheel hop in the snow too. I haven't noticed it when spinning on dry or wet pavement, but we just got 5" of wet snow and I was getting it pretty easily. 1st when pulling out a 3/4 ton dodge and later just playing around in 2wd.

I like my bastard pack, it's a stock main and the full pack from an s10. Any suggestions for traction bars? I don't want slappers cause they hang down way too low.

Make one,heres a pic of the one I made for my son's rig.
41400011.JPG

Back