• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 HO noisey lifters

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 XJ 4.0L 4x4 2dr 5spd has pretty noisey lifters after the car is fully warmed up. In cold mornings when it starts it revs to close to 1500rpm and i can hear the lifters tick a little bit but otherwise its smooth until its fully warmed up. I jus did a fresh oil change with 10w-30 convention with some oil treatment additive and used a FULL oil filter. I've read that some say that fram filters arent good and cant make the lifters tick but i've had no problem with full filters on my other cars and believe they make good filters. Still its ticking but the car runs solid. Milage is a little high with 275,000kms (172,000 miles). any suggestions or anything to be worried about..

thanks in advance

Go to Fram's website, read about the filter you are using--their "standard" or low-priced filter uses a nitrile rubber anti-drain back valve. If you are stuck on Fram, buy their upgraded filters with the silicone anti-drain back valve.

Back