• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN decoding

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have the VIN code to tell what year a given vehicle is? Trying to match up fuse blocks for an 88 MJ.

I know it's like the 6th or 7th character on the VIN, and I believe it's a letter, not a number.

Tenth character. V is 97, letters I/O/Q (i/o/q) are not used to avoid confusion.

Model year table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number#Model_year_encoding

EDIT:
wikipedia said:
In order to identify exact year in passenger cars and multipurpose passenger vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 or less, one must read position 7 as well as position 10. For passenger cars, and for multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lb or less, if position 7 is numeric, the model year in position 10 of the VIN refers to a year in the range 1980-2009. If position 7 is alphabetic, the model year in position 10 of VIN refers to a year in the range 2010-2039.

So you were partially correct...

Back