• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Trackbar mount

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well this past weekend i replaced my trackbar with a Rubicon Express HD trackbar. Apparently I didn't tighten the lower mount enough (though I'm quite certain I did), and the lower bolt fell out and is lost to the world, as is the tab nut.

Now I can easily find a replacement 1/2" bolt, what about the tab nut? Does this really need to be a tab nut, or will a normal one work?

Well this past weekend i replaced my trackbar with a Rubicon Express HD trackbar. Apparently I didn't tighten the lower mount enough (though I'm quite certain I did), and the lower bolt fell out and is lost to the world, as is the tab nut.

Now I can easily find a replacement 1/2" bolt, what about the tab nut? Does this really need to be a tab nut, or will a normal one work?

just a normal nut(i would use a lock washer or nylon bushing nut) as long as you can get a wrench on it.

Those flag nuts haven't been available from Jeep for several years now. You might be able to fish a nut in there (yes, use a locking device of some type) or hit the junkyards for one.

Anyone happen to know the dimensions I'm looking for for the new bolt? I know I need 1/2" thread, but I have no old bolt to compare it to for length etc.

I'd just get a standard nut and tack weld a strip of metal (or a piece of smallish rod stock) onto it, that's about all the factory did except they crushed the metal instead of welding. The factory ones are a blasted pain, the thin little tag tends to bend for me (at least while doing UCAs) and so they just spin and make me say interesting things. Would benefit greatly from 14ga or thicker tags.

As for the bolt, I seem to recall it being ~2.5 to 3" long but I am not sure. Shouldn't be hard to find out, measure how far it is from one side of the trackbar mount to the other, add 1/2 or 3/4" for the nut + washer(s).

I'd throw some red loctite on it this time around, or maybe use a crown nut if you can find a way to get a hitch pin clip or cotter pin in there.

I'd just get a standard nut and tack weld a strip of metal (or a piece of smallish rod stock) onto it, that's about all the factory did except they crushed the metal instead of welding. The factory ones are a blasted pain, the thin little tag tends to bend for me (at least while doing UCAs) and so they just spin and make me say interesting things. Would benefit greatly from 14ga or thicker tags.

As for the bolt, I seem to recall it being ~2.5 to 3" long but I am not sure. Shouldn't be hard to find out, measure how far it is from one side of the trackbar mount to the other, add 1/2 or 3/4" for the nut + washer(s).

I'd throw some red loctite on it this time around, or maybe use a crown nut if you can find a way to get a hitch pin clip or cotter pin in there.

alas, I cannot weld nor have access to one currently. The RE trackbar comes with its own replacement hardware, and I believe the tab nut was just a nut welded to a small piece of plate. I think for now Im just going to try using a normal not with some loctite

What is it, 1/2-13 UNC?

I've got a welder hanging out in a friend's garage, I'll be over there tonight doing brake cylinders on his MJ and trimming fenders on my XJ probably, I'll tack one together, pretty sure I have some pieces of 1/8" scrap somewhere around there. PM me a mailing address to send it to.

What is it, 1/2-13 UNC?

I've got a welder hanging out in a friend's garage, I'll be over there tonight doing brake cylinders on his MJ and trimming fenders on my XJ probably, I'll tack one together, pretty sure I have some pieces of 1/8" scrap somewhere around there. PM me a mailing address to send it to.

PM sent! your the man.

Back