• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 43 Engine Misfire

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So i checked my Codes and im getting code 43 3 times. it reads as follows

12-43-43-43-55

Im trying to figure out what would cause the engine to misfire. Old plugs, wires, worn cap?

Also noticed that one of the Injector wire plugs show some fraying to the point where the wires are exposed to much that they almost touch. If they did could it have damaged the injector???

Thanks!

FYI its a 96 cherokee sport 2WD

If they touched it won't damage the injector, but it could blow out the driver transistors in the ECU. Get that fixed ASAP!

Clogged injector, shorted (and thus not firing) injector, old plugs, worn cap/rotor could all cause this.

The car idles a bit rough so im guessing its either not firing or firing very poorly. Where do i find the driver transistors in the ECU? any pics?

They're sealed inside it... leave that alone for now. First I'd fix the frayed wiring. After that, put a noid light on that injector plug and see if it flashes the same brightness as the others. If it doesn't, you have an injector wiring fault still or a blown driver transistor in the ECU, if it's the latter, you will have to replace the whole thing as a unit unless you know how to fix it. If it does flash the same as the others, you're fine most likely - at that point I would probably inspect the rotor and distributor cap, and replace as needed. If that doesn't help replace plugs (if it's been more than 30k miles they are due anyways) and see if that fixes it...

If none of those fix it, try swapping the injector on the frayed line with another, unless they are the pressed together 2 piece injectors, in which case replace them all, Joe Peters has a recommendation on those... I think it's the orange Ford 19lb/hr injectors but I am not sure.

If none of that fixes it, suspect the driver transistors and try replacing the ECU.

You also should probably find out which cylinder is misfiring - if I'm not mistaken, plugging in a code reader will give you the exact cylinder number while the key trick will only flash a general misfire code on the dashboard. This will tell you if it's correlated with the frayed wiring at all.

Yes. All 96 model year vehicles were required to be OBD II compliant by the feds.

Welcome to the club of redheaded stepchild XJ owners... 96 electrical is an interesting beast!

Back