• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another question. AC compressor, Alternator, Distributor

hxcjohnny

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i've asked a few questions on here about this swap i'm doing, but I have a couple more. I have a 91 cherokee that i'm putting a motor in. the motor is out of a 98 model, but was previously installed in a 90 model(renix) cherokee, so all my accessories are off a 90 model. I'm finding that most of the accessories are different from 90-91.

My first question, the ac compressors for 90 and 91 models are different. Im not going to be charging the ac or anything yet, but my question is, if I mount the 90 compressor on the motor when i put it in the 91 without hooking it up or charging the system, will it be alright? I would be doing this so the belt would run on it for now until i can get the right compressor later down the road. would that work?

second question, the alternators have different part numbers from a 90 to a 91, is there a way to use the alternator from the 90 model jeep on my 91? could I just splice it in and not use the connector? Is the amperage different?

and third question, The distributors have different plugs from 90-91. is there a way to splice the 90 model distributor in and make it work? if not, can I use a distributor from a different jeep, like an obd1 ZJ??

I'm asking these questions because i'm trying to get this thing running as quickly and cheaply as possible without havin to go out and buy a new alt, dist, and ac compressor. Let me know if any of this is possible. thanks!

Guessing here that you don't have the original motor from the 91, and that is why you are trying to make use of the 90 parts?

The Renix-era XJs use an internally regulated Delco-Remy alternator, the 1991+ went to Nippondenso alternators with charging controlled by the PCM.

So, yes, I think you could wire in the Delco-Remy to charge the battery. I don't have a clue what the PCM will do other than a possible CEL and/or throwing codes.

As for the distributor, well, that connector is just for the synch sensor so the PCM gets input and decides the duration/timing of the injector firing pulse signal.

So, will a Renix synch sensor work with a OBDI PCM? Don't know, but I have my doubts. You can look up the part numbers on rockauto.com and compare them.

As for your first question, I don't see why you couldn't use the compressor as a place holder for the belt. If you decide you don't want a/c, or don't want the compressor in there, then you will have to locate a Renix-era XJ w/o a/c in the salvage yard to scavenge the factory a/c delete pulley and bracket, there is no aftermarket one available.

I understand your position, but you will have less trouble if you can acquire the OBDI distributor and alternator setup.

Thanks, that's what I want to do, but this would be a temporary fix until I can find a distributor and alternator. I'm just trying to get this thing usable for now. Thanks for the answers!

Back