• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle shifted back, Driveshaft fell out.

The Lure Washer

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1990 cherokee on 4.5in lift with 33's. So some how my rear axle shifted backward on the driver side causing my drive shaft to put out of the transfer case. The t case is a 231 and rear axle is a D35. When i crawled under the truck i noticed that the shock was busted at the mount. Luckily the bar pin just came off the bolts. Will that cause the axle to shift back like that? The leaves are still sitting in the perches. Also can i just push the yoke back into the transfer case? Luckily for me i have tomorrow off but this is my daily driver.

Check for loose u-bolts and you probably broke the center pin in the leaf pack.

i have a 1990 cherokee on 4.5in lift with 33's. So some how my rear axle shifted backward on the driver side causing my drive shaft to put out of the transfer case,.. ..,When i crawled under the truck i noticed that the shock was busted at the mount. Luckily the bar pin just came off the bolts. Will that cause the axle to shift back like that? The leaves are still sitting in the perches. Also can i just push the yoke back into the transfer case?,...
How was your lift done? Was there a block or degree shim under there? Is it still there? Is the head of the center pin still there/undamaged? If there's no damage to the center pin, and no block involved, chances are the U-bolts were loose or stretched. While you're fixing it, you want to check the other side.

The broken shock won't cause the axle to shift, but may cause any axle wrap issue you already had to become worse.

The yoke will probably go back in the T-case, but not without a little work:
1 - the end of the output shaft is probably messed up, and you'll have to take a small file to the ends of a few splines. With any luck, you won't have to do the same on the slip yoke.
2 - It'll probably need a new seal
3 -The seal surface on the slip yoke might need cleaned up especially the end if it got dragged under the jeep on pavement.

How much engagement did the driveshaft have on the output shaft before the break? 4.5"lift on the stock shaft would have it pulled out pretty far.

the center pin definitely sheered off. I have 6 degree shims in on the bottom of the pack. My problem now is finding a replacement center pin. The drive shaft yoke is undamaged. When it fell out I was in a parking lot and had just gone over a speedbump.

Any local spring shop will have new center pins.

Are your shims bolted to the pack or just sandwiched in betwwen the spring perch and spring pack?

the center pin definitely sheered off. I have 6 degree shims in on the bottom of the pack.
Ding! Winner!
Probably anyway.

If you have the shims that just sit on the pack with the center pin sticking up through them, your best bet is to trade them for shims that bolt to the pack.
Next best option(not very good)is to get center bolts with extended heads.
If you have aluminum shims, throw them away and get steel.

Lucky on the undamaged yoke. If there was very little torque load, it might not have damaged the splines.

How much spline engagement does the slip yoke have? Is it a stock length shaft?

Be sure to check the other side. 'Might even be worth your time to drop the axle an inch and see if the axle perch/pin/shim/spring look like they've been moving against each other.

Good to hear she's back up and around. (If Shirley's not a she, please DO NOT tell me :D)
...,I probably have about 2 inches of spline engagement.
Might want to put the back up on jack stands and let the rear end hang down. 'Check the engagement at full droop. Seems like the shaft might be a little short.

Back