• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt torque vs. temperature

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
How much does the ambient temperature effect bolt torque? Its 40* out and I am concerned that the temperature may adversely effect the torque. I'm concerned with the rod, main caps and head bolts.

Preheat the bolts in a toaster oven to about 100* or so before installing them and you should get a fairly accurate torque. I wrenched on Blackhawk helicopters for 15 years and never had any issues with temp/bolt torque. The metals should all expand at similar rates as temps rise so the torque will be stable. This might be different if you have an aluminum head.

Thanx for the response. If it isn't a problem on a military aircraft it isn't a problem on a Jeep. I'm just using a modified stock head, not the gold plated aluminum one.

How did you like working on Blackhawks?

While your wife is out, bring it into the house and get as into the project as you can before she gets home.

Remember, its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission :)

Thanx for the response. If it isn't a problem on a military aircraft it isn't a problem on a Jeep. I'm just using a modified stock head, not the gold plated aluminum one.

How did you like working on Blackhawks?
Working on Blackhawks was cool. They were the pinnacle of helicopter technology in their day. It takes alot of knowledge to work on all of the systems. The aircraft can do some incredible things though. It was cool to pick up a heavily loaded Hummer on a external load sling and carry it for a hundred miles or so then drop it off at it's destination.

Preheat the bolts in a toaster oven to about 100* or so before installing them and you should get a fairly accurate torque. I wrenched on Blackhawk helicopters for 15 years and never had any issues with temp/bolt torque. The metals should all expand at similar rates as temps rise so the torque will be stable. This might be different if you have an aluminum head.

Not doubting your knowledge, just wondering on the "why" behind needing to warm the bolts up. As you say, the expansion factor between steel and cast iron are almost identical. :confused:

Not doubting your knowledge, just wondering on the "why" behind needing to warm the bolts up. As you say, the expansion factor between steel and cast iron are almost identical. :confused:
Just so that it will warm the bolthole and the temp will be closer to the same between the bolt and the hole. You can also just make sure the bolts are as cold as the rest of the parts.

Last edited:
While that doesn't have any bearing on my initial question it is good info, most of which I already knew, but it brings up another question. Why can a socket head cap screw take more torque than a regular hex head bolt?
I'm venturing a guess here but I would say that the manufacturing process results in hardening of the head and top part of the bolt shank due to the forging of the hex in the bolthead. A machine basically forces a die into the bolthead forming the hex shape, this compresses the molecules in the metal making it much stronger. If anybody has a definitive answer to this, please share.

The cap screw/hex head question is answered in the article table. Grade 8 (best shown hex) is medium carbon material. Socket head cap screw is listed as high carbon. This translates into a higher Rockwell hardness and higher yield strength.

The process for manufacturing is very similar for all the bolts. hex or socket head.
Steel in the form of a coil of round stock is drawn through a die to achieve a close tolerance diameter. Then the shape is cold headed ( basically like a cold forging) into a die. The material starts cold, but gets extremely hot (but not red hot) during the forming process. Yes, the granules get shaped and aligned to add strength. During this forming process, the head is also formed, both on socket head and hex head bolts. Even in the hex head, there are two variations, formed and trimmed. The formed ones are the ones with a tapered hex that your wrench slips off of so easily. The ones that are better to wrench on have a straight hex that is trimmed after forming. Then the threads are roll formed between two dies. After that, the bolts are heat treated in a carburized atmosphere to prevent decarburization (weakening) of the threaded area. The critcal strength point dimensionally is the radius under the bolt head. My first quality control job was in a boltmaking plant 35 years ago. Not much boltmaking in the USA now. Mostly CHINA.

Back