• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater/AC Blower problem

cbird01

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a problem with the heater/AC blower for a while. Initial problem was intermittent blockage. Basically the AC could be full on and you hear what sounded like some kind of damper changing position and sudden cut out of air volume. You could tell the blower was still pushing full blast but was not getting out, regardless of the air level(1-4) or the position(foot, face, windshield) After a few minutes, you could hear a damper(or something) give way and it kicks back full on. I tell you this part just in case it helps you troubleshoot the new problem below. I am not too worried about the old problem now, as it has either gone away or a morphed into a new problem which is worse.

Now, on cold start I get nothing - no blower motor. After warm up, the blower motor will eventually kick in....but at not even half the volume of level 1. I can feel heat. This is not even enough volume to get the smallest thaw spot on a frozen windshield. I have been putting anti-freeze windshield solution on a rag to clear it. It is damn cold here and I can't take the windshield issues, especially in heavy snow and/or freezing cold. It is getting dangerous and very inconvenient.

I would appreciate any troubleshooting you can provide! Thanks,

Craig
Flagstaff, AZ

If all of your fuses are good and it won't work on high, the motor is probably shot. Either check for 12V at the motor or test the motor with a jumper wire. Is yours an 01 like your name?

Sorry, this is for a 1998 Cherokee Sport.

Could you give me directions for doing these tests. I am a good wrencher, but not very good at the electric stuff.

Thanks

The blower motor is accessed under the hood. It is on the firewall on the passenger side. The plug is right on the motor. Pull the plug free from the motor. Turn your switch on high and use a voltmeter (or test light) to see if you have current.

Questions?

Back