• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheels for a 1 ton XJ

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my xj has a front HP '78 Ford D60 and a rear '99 Ford D60.

I know that they are both the same bolt pattern, and they are both 8 lug. Right now im running 17x9 crager soft 8's (who isnt?) and trying to see my options when i go for new tires.

on 4WD hardware they offer wheels in 8 on 170, 8 on 200, and 8 on 6.5. I have a feeling that my bolt pattern is the last option, but would like to confirm this.

Moving on, what used wheels can I look out for on the cheap? I think I need 17's to clear my stock F350 disc brakes.

I heard that H2 wheels fit, was looking at these: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/1561475548.html

Your stock front pattern is 8 on 6.5, and those H2 wheels should fit fine. I'm running late model Dodge steel wheels with weld on beadlocks. They have around 6.5 inches of back spacing. I think the H2's have 5 or 5.5 inches BS. Your stock rear pattern is metric. I assume you changed it to match the front.

oh wow didnt know that the later axles were metric!! damn ill have to email the previous owner and ask if he changed it. I believe he told me the rear was narrowed on one side so the pumpkin was centered and each side uses the stock short axle.

I have H1 wheels, if you weld and have tools you can to an endless amount of modifying to them. They are also very cheap and easy to come by.

i dont weld, but then again im only 18 and have plenty of time to learn. what types of mods exactly? beadlocks? maybe this wheel purchase will also justify a welder purchase (and a welding class!)

They are double bead locks stock. You can recenter then to almost any lug pattern. You can buy about 30 different rock rings for them. 2 kinds of run flats. Only down side at all is they are 16.5" rims

oh I thought they were 17's, and I honestly had NO idea that that H2 wheels are double beedlocks THATS NUTS! wait are you sure youre not thinking of those steel 2 piece crazy H1 wheels?

well anyways, just ran into h2 wheels cause they look cool and they should be alot lighter then my 17 inch steel wheels.

16.5 inches is a plus for me because I would like to get a smaller wheel but my brakes are HUGE :)

oh also i realized those rims on craigslist are chrome, i dont like chrome to much, but it could be cool to beat chrome wheels to shit and people think your ruining $$$$ wheels.

one question: lets say i buy a set of four wheels and my front axles is 8 on 6.5 and my rear is metric, is it really that different? can i get wheel adapters (probably a BAD idea, just asking).

what direction would you go?

99XJ4X4--------wow im dumb just read that you DO have H1 wheels, obviously H2's dont have double beadlocks. how much did they run you? is your XJ a DD, cause mine is, maybe standard alloys would be a safer way to go for highway use.

I have 8 lug one tons as well and run H1 double deadlocks. They only come in 16.5 so there are some new tire designs I can't run but most anything I want is available in 16.5. They are also a little heavy but other then that they run just fine.

If your rear axle is metric you could recenter H1 rims to have the fronts done in 8x6.5 and the rears done in 8x170. It would probably be better in the long run to either have your existing rear hubs re-drilled to 8x6.5 or get some standard hubs to replace the metric ones, assuming you are running a full float axle. That way the bolt pattern matches front and rear.

H2 aluminum rims are nice and have lots of backspacing as already mentioned but they only come in 8x6.5. You could run wheel spacers, the rear is probably already a couple inches narrower then the front so you might not even notice it.

Back