• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help--grinding noise on 90 xj

fattrout1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj pionner with a 4.0 and the aw4 tranny with 169,000 miles.

when ever I make a turn or hit a bump their is a grinding noise. the tranny dont slip or anything like that. 4x4 works great thought it might be the transfer case but it only does this when hitting a bump or turning also checked the universals. any ideas would be greatly appreciated :explosion

Thanks...David

If it does it when your turning and a bump it might be one of your bearings. That was a problem I had in my 99, and then after a while it turned into a constant noise until I changed the bad bearing i found on my front driver side.

Check your vacuum disco if you have it, it's on the passenger side of the front axle. Mine did the same thing, but I have an AX-15. The locking collar that locks the two shafts together was touching both, so the splines were grinding against each other.

But it still does it when in 4x4 so I think if that was it it would stop when in 4x4 ,please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks...David

are you sure it's a grinding noise or is it a rattling/buzzing noise? Is it dependent on engine RPM, vehicle speed, or throttle position?

I had a broken exhaust mount right at the transmission crossmember that drove me absolutely nuts for a while, it would vibrate only when I was idling in gear, accelerating hard, or turning in a certain direction (forget which.) Turns out under normal engine load, or in park, the drivetrain was twisting the mounts just enough that the exhaust was held off the crossmember, but if I turned one direction the weight of the exhaust would pull it sideways till it hit the crossmember and if I left it in gear (automatic) and came to a stop ONLY in drive/1-2/3 (not in neutral or park) it would torque the drivetrain mounts just enough to vibrate again.

Thanks for the tip about the exhaust I never thought to check that,I will get to it in the morn and post what I find.

thanks...David

grrrrrr:helpme: checked the exhaust and nothing is even close to rubbing anything so if anyone thinks of anything else to try please let me know.

Thanks...David

Is your XJ lifted?

If lifted, and you have bad transmission and engine mounts, then the noise could be related to the drive shaft's u-joints binding when things flop around. Worth a look.

no its stock,just got her christmas day,the guy I got her from dad had died and she has been sitting in a barn for a couple years. I got everything working great, just cant figure out the grinding noise. "but a lift is in the future" gota fix the rust first lol..

Thanks...David

have you checked you front end ? jack it up with the tire off the ground and inch or so get a long bar under the tire and lift up and down check for ball joint play ,grab your tire at about 6 and 12 and try to rock it in and out,any play? lastly just spin the tire and compare to the other side .my right front growls like a lion but the left is quite dont mistake the brake pads scuffing the rotor as a growl,mine grinds when turning and at certain speeds i can feel it in the brake / gas pedals / steering wheel and the sound is transmitted up through the shifter area or tunnel.

Nothing with the front end. could it be the universals even if their is no play in them? this is driving me nuts!

thanks for all the help...David

How about a rear axle bearings ? noise can get trasmitted up through the drive shaft .possible transfer case but would think that would do it all the time not just a bump or turn. you could remove the driveshafts and work the u joints by hand see if they are smooth also could take out the front drive shaft and recheck ? it grinds on a bump but does it go away after the bump or keeps grinding, same thing for a turn ? tires arent hitting anywhere?

It grinds really bad when starting out then goes away but comes back when turning or hitting a bump and the more I accelerate when starting out the worse it is. but on a smooth road shes perfect just some exhaust noise which im going to fix this week with a dyno max cat back system.

Thanks....David

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help put on a new exhaust and universals and the grinding noise is gone!!!!!!:yelclap:.

Back