• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Shaft/CV Joint HELP!!!

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Into my front end, replacing knuckles, ball joints, trackbar and cv joints. I've come across a problem, the cv joints I was sold are wrong. They include both in and outer axle shafts and cv joint. I have standard 4-point ujoints w/ caps. What did these ujoints come out of so I can tell my parts guy to get me the right stuff.

87XJ
4wd
dana 30

Last edited:
have one of the shafts with you and tell them to look up an 90. There will be two choices: with and without A.B.S. Compare the two and see which is the same size as yours.

If you can't take the shaft with you, measure the diameter of the caps and see which matches.

Well, Just got off the phone with my parts guy. Made him do some digging but I found out what's going on. XJ's with ABS come with CV joints and an ABS Ring (That ISN'T Removable, so dont try pounding on it with a hammer cuz it ain't commin' off). XJ's without ABS come with axle U-joints. I was in a hurry at the parts store and didn't even check what I got. Thought they sold me the inner/outer shaft with the ujoint installed. But took it apart anyway after I noticed the difference and came to find that the inner(pumpin/ ring&pinion) spline count on ABS models is 27 while the non ABS is 15.

Back