• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 build

bradow

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building an np231 out of three cases. problem is, when I put the planetaries I need into the front case half I need, the outer planetary ring doesn't seem to quite mesh with the inner planetary gears, and i'm afraid the pitch of the planetaries are just a little off. I pulled the outer planetary ring retaining clip and tried to pull it with pullers (in order to keep the inner planetaries with their factory match outer planetary ring), but it wouldn't budge. And i'm afraid that if I do get it removed i won't be able to get another one seated in as tight as it needs to be, as there are about 30 little punch dimples in the aluminum around it to make sure the gear is in tight. Anybody had to deal with this before?

I searched but I could not find this exact problem covered in the forums. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessie B

Bummer man. How do they even get that sun gear in there so tight?

Heat up the case,freeze the gear and a big press! Tera-Flex used to do 4:1 conversions on the "customers" case.

Let me make sure i've got this straight. I have a sun gear(center/splined for transmission) with, call them long pitched gear teeth. I have planetary gears with both long and short pitch gear teeth, and I have a case/ring gear with short pitched gear teeth.

I know that putting the long pitch planetary gears into the short pitch ring gear will cause terrible chatter/grinding. But someone on my local board said that I can put the long pitch sun gear into the short pitch planetary, and then put that into the short pitch ring gear and it will be fine. This doesn't sound like this will work, but i'm from Florida so....

Back