• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Fluid 2001 XJ

either dot 3 or dot 5, I forget which... check the manual.

DOT 4 is pretty much standard now at all parts stores, they still sell 3 but it has lower specs and they are both comparable pricewise with each other and can be mixed so why get the lower rating. DOT 5 is the synthetic base version you can't mix, and I believe there is something like DOT 5.1? that is supposed to be compatible with everything, look for Valvoline Synthetic brand if you want the best at ur local parts store and read the Label. Ur brake fluid cap on the MC has a label printed or embossed on it which specifies what fluid to use

FSM (2000) says to use DOT3 brake fluid. That did not change with the year.

I don't think the manual says it, but brake fluid should be changed out every two years of so. It is designed to hold water, which in turn will rust the betallic parts of the brake system. Under hard use, brake fluid with water in it will boil.

dot 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible, and are in order from lowest to highest WET boiling point. 3 and 4 are common, and if you have the choice go dot 4. dot 5.1 is more of a specialty 'high performance race' type fluid and isn't commonly available at regular parts stores. Though this is the best fluid, its a good bit more $$$ and not needed at all.

DO NOT USE DOT 5!!! It is a completely different chemical make up and not compatible with any of the above listed fluids.

Every car/truck should have its fluid fully changed every 2 years. SOme people have 15 y/o brake fluid in their rigs, but for optimal performance both in braking and parts longevity, a 2 year change cycle is the way to go. WHy not? it costs you $8 in fluid and 40min or so w/ a buddy....

[QUOTE, Don't waste your money on any synthetic stuff.[/QUOTE]

Why all the negativity on that? would you tell him the same on what type of oil to buy? its his money, he was asking for opinions on what to use and why..... its his choice and I'd think now he can make a better decision.

[QUOTE, Don't waste your money on any synthetic stuff.

Why all the negativity on that? would you tell him the same on what type of oil to buy? its his money, he was asking for opinions on what to use and why..... its his choice and I'd think now he can make a better decision.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I sounded negative here, That was not my intention.

Most Brake fluid sold today is marked DOT 3-4. And the prices are excellent!
Now, Motor Oil is a completely different story! :yelclap:

Back