• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle orientation/alignment

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
2001 XJ...finishing 3.5" RE lift.

So, when I get the rear leaf packs on and bolted, I can assume that the axle will be oriented correctly left to right.

My question...how do I determine if it is correct up and down...meaning, how can I ensure that the coupling bracket on the differential is not too high or too low to properly re-install my drive shaft? When I tighten on my u-bolts and plates will it just automatically align everything correctly?

I'll assume that by "coupling bracket" you mean pinion yoke. If that's the case, the answer to your question is yes... and no. When you tighten up your u-bolts, your spring perches will pull up flat against the bottom of your leaf springs, so yes. The problem is that when you install a lift kit with longer shackles, arched leaf springs, and possibly a transfer case drop, all bets are off that your driveshaft angle is correct, so no.

You can use an angle finder to determine the angles of your pinion yoke, your driveshaft, and your transfer case output shaft. Armed with this information, you can read one of the many threads about proper driveshaft angles here on NAXJA.

Thanks man! That is exactly what I needed to know. Now I can search for further informaiton. And yes, Pinion Yoke...I just had no idea what it was called.

Great information.

On a relatively low lift with no slip-yoke eliminator installed on the t-case, the angle of the t-case output yoke and rear diff yoke should be within a couple degrees of each other. It's easiest to measure with both yokes oriented up/down, so you have the widest surface to rest the angle-finder on. Ideally, you want the rear diff yoke to be that degree or two lower, as the diff will climb slightly upon acceleration, putting it pretty much even angle-wise with the t-case yoke.

If your angles are off by more than a degree or two, use steel shims that pick up the centering pin on the rear leaf packs to get the angle that you desire.

Lots of threads here on this over the years, so you can have a search and see what else is of interest there for you.

Even easier,set the angle finder on the vavle cover(t-case output angle) and either of the 2 large flat areas on the back side of the diff, adjacent to the cover(pinion angle).
IMG_0692.jpg

Back