• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster Swap Problems

kmrneck07

NAXJA Forum User
I know that the instrument cluster swap should be straight forward, and it was for the most part. I made sure the that it the speedo worked before i actually started the swap. I adjusted the new cluster to the correct mileage. Somewhere, i did something wrong and now the speedo doesn't work on either cluster, and the tach on the "new" one seems as if the needle is sticking. When I start the jeep, it jumps to 2000rpms and gets stuck even though I can hear the engine slowing down. Speedo just doesnt move at all.

91 XJ. new Cluster is from a mid 90's. Can't remember the exact year, but it's the right one.

Any suggestions?

You sure it's the right one? I am pretty sure you will need to stick with the 91-93 range for direct transplants, though I might be wrong, 94-96 could work (I don't think so though.)

I'm pretty sure that it's the right one. It looks almost identical to the stock one minus warning lights/tach. The printed circuits on the back look almost the same minus the fuel/tach area.

According the some research, http://www.jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/index.shtml, it should work. Gonna call it a night and try to trouble shoot it in the morning. I'm fairly certain it was an earlymid 90's cluster because I just don't remember seeing any later model XJ's at PAP (pull-a-part)

Got the Speedo to work, but the tach still doesn't. I'm having trouble finding the tach source on the dash harness. I test the plugs where it would theoretically be according to the printed circuit, but I don't get any voltage from it. Seems odd. Is the source for the tach on the distributor?

Don't know if it pertains to your situation, but on the Renix the tach receives voltage from the fuse block and its ground comes from the coil.

Back