• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much for 4.0l rebuild

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
hey just wondering from you fellow jeep owners how much does the average rebuilt 4.0l go for and i kno it depends whats in it but im just wondering for the average rebuild because i have a opportunity to buy a rebuilt 4.0l for 1000$ was wondering if thats a good price???

If it really and truly is a rebuild and done well, that's a steal.

its got new bearings oil pump rods and pistons new timing chain head re decked new valve guilds got the valves reseated thats what the guy told me and i kno who rebuilt it so i kno it was done right and might be more done to it not sure he gonna look threw the recites

Pull the rod and main caps and look at the bearings, maybe plastigage them. Were the valve guides replaced or simply knurled?

If they were replaced, then it was done the right way and I wouldn't probably worry about the rest. A good rebuild can easily run $2000 if done right.

How much is it for a new Jasper 4.0 and trans? Just bought mine with 172k on the it but the motor and trans have 10k on them. I know I stole the jeep but just wondering what that must have cost to have put in. I do have an issue with the 4x4 though. Makes a loud clanking noise when i try to move either forward or reverse in 4h or 4l. Prob the transfer case I am thinking. I picked it up for $600 though so I am stoked. The thing is in mint condition.

My rebuild cost me about $1500 for everything, oil, gaskets, coolant etc. The block was bored .030 over, new pistons, ground crank, new cam and lifters, 3 angle valve grind and resurface on the head, and I had the machine shop assemble the short block. I did the rest of the work myself.

I paid $1745 for a full rebuild, bored over, machining done, line honed, head worked, new valves, springs, pistons, timing chain, lifters, cam, bearings, oil pump, full gaskets, etc.

Back