• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler / Dodge hourly service charge?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how much the dealership charges an hour for labor?

Call them and ask.

The labor rate varies by your location, small town dealerships usually charge less than big city ones.

Tim is right. It costs a lot more to operate in the big city (esp. in California), so rates will be much higher. Also the highest rates will usually be in areas under union control, i.e. San Francisco, Chicago, & Detroit. Labor costs to the dealer will be much higher in those towns. Property costs also come into play as well. I believe hourly rates to vary as much as from $75.00 in the smaller towns to $130 in the cities, even higher in those union areas. one of the benefits to the larger dealers is that they usually have a much larger parts inventory, so downtime waiting for parts is reduced.

Jim

I was told $175.

Holy crap! that dealership must have the best mechanics in the country.:doh:
nope, just worse cost control-- but hey, it only costs the consumer right?

It was still under $100.00 an hour last year in Norfolk, Va-- haven't had the misfortune to check recently.....

This might be irrelevant to your question but the dealer usually charges the labor hours per the flat rate manual. If a particular task is a one hour job per the manual, the mechanic will be paid for one hour and you will be billed for one hour. A good mechanic will do the task is less time and will be able to complete more tasks per day and thus get paid more per day than the slow mechanic.

I was told the hourly rate is 175 but they are cutting me deal at 90 an hour.

I used to have two dealerships, so i was quoted at 90/hr.. now i have one dealership and its like $145/hr

Parts and Service are PROFIT centers of all dealerships--that is where the real money is made, all other departments are operated at a loss, including sales.

The higher the operating costs of the dealership, the higher the service labor and parts prices will be.

One exception is warranty work. The dealerships are reimbursed at a fixed rate by the manufacturers for warranty work--and manufacturers are CHEAP!!

Generally, the newer/less experienced techs will be given warranty work to do.

Thanks guys. I would rather not mention the dealership or city it is in. Most of the dealerships within reasnable driving distance have went out of buisness. This dealership has always taken care of me I was just shocked to here the hourly rate changes. I have spent a lot of money there including having a new crate motor installed that I paid cost for plus labor which was $80.00 an hour last year. I wanted to compare this deal to others in the country.

Thank You.

Back